Help with wild duckling please!!!!! (pics)

tia

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Valdez, Alaska
28584_found_duckling_001.jpg

Someone brought me this little fellow. He wandered into the airport lobby and was walking around. There is no wooded area and mom was nowhere in sight outside. I have him in a rubbermaid tub with a light for warmth, water, and maintenance duck food (because that is all I have and store is 300 miles away)

Any help in identifying the little fellow and giving me help on what and how to feed it. It doesn't appear to be very old. I bought poly vi sol with iron at the store (only kind they had) Please any help in what I should do - Please If I call fish and game or animal control they will say go put it back where you found it. (The parking lot of the airport is not a good option) Please help!!!

Last edited:
First of all, I am unsure about ducks, but with chickens, the PolyViSol with iron can be deadly.
I have no clue on breed, but she/he needs either unmedicated chick starter or game bird starter/grower.
It also needs water in a bowl that it can preen in and clean it's little mouth and bill out when it eats.
I hope this helps.

I have water and maintenance that I use for my full grown ducks. I will see if I can get some starter sent down tomorrow from Anchorage. I will check the pharmacy tomorrow for the other vitamin without Iron.

Do you think he is weak? If he seems OK, I really don't think he needs vitamins. Were you just thinking of vitamins since he has probably had a bit of a rough go?

Tia, I'm sorry, I didn't even see in your signature line that you had ducks-I sure didn't mean to give you info you already knew.
I was panicked when I saw you had a baby wild duck and just wanted to help.
smile.png

Last edited:
Should I try to feed it? Or just put the water and food in there and hope it eats. Any advice on that???

You can treat him just like a regular duckling, like your runners when they were babies. You can give him a mirror and/or a fuzzy stuffed animal for comfort. He doesn't really look like a baby mallard, but i'm not sure what kind of wild ducks you guys have up in Alaska.

I'd mix a little of your duck feed with some water to make it a little softer for him. Keep a small dish of water that he can't climb in, so he doesn't drown. He might still have some of his momma's oils, but they'll wear off.

Back
Top Bottom