HELP with wood stove installation..

Wildsky

Wild Egg!
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
California
OK, we're installing a wood stove, hubby cut the cement board today and we'll screw it onto the wall and then tile over.

BUT my question is this, the stove is going to be in the corner of the living room - facing the middle of the room, so at an angle.
How far away should we keep the TV? I don't want to melt this sucker (new TV) and I don't really want to put the TV on the other side of the room, I'd like to kinda face the stove and the TV when watching in the evenings.

You have to install it yourself?
th.gif

When we put the stove in our other house, we had to have it installed by a licensed contractor and inspected by the county.

We put in two woodstoves, my husband is a building contractor. The one in an existing fireplace had to have a metal sleeve right up the chimney and special cement poured down to fill the space between the pipe and the brick chimney all the way up. Also we tiled out into the room as the stove is big and needed a large platform of tiled concrete board. The other stove in the hallway has a pipe that goes up through the attic and through the roof. It required special pipe and very expensive double skinned junctions through the ceiling and the roof. Also a huge extention pipe to bring the outside pipe higher than the highest point in the roof. Buying the two large stoves was probably the cheapest part. It is essential that it is done right, for insurance and also for safety.

Quote:
gig.gif
Yeah, we're in the middle of nowhere land, and honestly to have someone do it for us would cost more than the stove did.

Most folk around here have done it themselves, we're going to get help when we have to make holes out the wall and stuff.

SO far so good, we have only cut the cement board into size. We'll screw that in I hope tomorrow - my hubby is going to portland for the weekend, so I'll tile if the cement board is in...

The clearance for the corners of the stove to the wall is only 12 inches - and 18 inches in front for the flooring... I'm just worried about the TV - we'll move that if we have to.

Quote:
thats what it says in the instructions - for a corner installation - so its at an angle to the wall not flat. The point corner of the stove will be 12 inches from the wall.

I understand the need to do it yourself, we need to add a wood stove and the installation is 5 times the cost of the stove. Please make sure that your smoke detectors are working in the rest of the house.

Quote:
My hubby is a firefighter. We will have a couple of the more experienced guys or the chief come and take a look.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom