Help with worms

KatefromOz

Songster
5 Years
Sep 5, 2017
Hi all...I'm feeling like a bad chicken mamma today. I let my girls out this morning and my RIR hen did a poop and it was heaps of worms...I think they were roundworms (I have a pic). To be honest, it was mostly worms and tiny bit of poop. They were still moving and it was quite horrifying. I check my girls poop almost daily and this is the first time I've seen any signs of worms. They were only wormed about 2 months ago (there was evidence of worms back then too). I feel like I'm not caring for them well enough :(
I will worm them this afternoon. We use vetsense kilverm...there isn't much else around where I live. Is there something I should be doing better to prevent them getting worms? By the way I'm in Australia and we are having an extreme heat wave so i do have a mister going on the grass all day...apparently worms thrive in damp environments. Thanks!

You are not a bad chicken momma!!! But if they have worms maybe try Dietanatios Earth (I didn’t spell that right) if you were to get it put it in the chicken feed and the roost. Put it in the food and roost once every time you clean your coop. Keep on giving it to them until they have no more worms in their poop.
Please for the love of money do not buy DE...it will not prevent worms nor will it get rid of them.

Hey KatefromOz

I agree, while ACV is reported to maintain a good pH balance in their digestive system and make it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in; it is not a wormer.

Same with DE, it is not going to help.

As you have an overload, you do need to call in the big guns in the form of chemicals.

I also use Kilverm Pig and Poultry Wormer [Levamisole] available from Vet-N-Pet Direct [who I also use for most of my pets needs].

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/kil...132B87&gdffi=10600f223f474e1c9ae213f32fb3a662

It has two treatment dosages; the weaker dose only treating round worm but the stronger dose treats for more. BUT the trick is you need to redose after 10 days in order to kill any hatching larvae.

If you did not redose after the treatment 2 months ago, that will probably be why you are still having issues.

Or, you could also try Avitrol Plus [Levamisole & Praziquantel], also available from Vet-N-Pet Direct.

Thanks for the information. I might try to get another type of wormer. I also need to start putting ACV in their water again...I stopped this during the hest wave beacuse I always worry they don't drink as much with the vinegar in their water. Hopefully we will see some cooler weather in the coming months which should help a lot (especially with the dreaded flies).
Thanks again! :)

I wormed my chickens about 2 months ago with kilverm. I don't think there is any where close that could do a fecal test. I will make some calls today.
Those look like round worms, lots of them....
obviously the kilverm did not do the trick.

Doens't look like the AU chat thread is very active,
maybe @Teila can give you some 'local' advice?

Thank you! I have posted a picture of the kilverm we use (and my wormy girl in the background). Last time we wormed them we did it twice. The initial worm and then again 10 days later. They definitely all got enough because my husband fed it to them individually through a syringe...we weighed them to make sure they had the correct dosage.
Keeping chickens can be so stressful at times...so much to learn! . :)
Hey KatefromOz

I agree, while ACV is reported to maintain a good pH balance in their digestive system and make it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in; it is not a wormer.

Same with DE, it is not going to help.

As you have an overload, you do need to call in the big guns in the form of chemicals.

I also use Kilverm Pig and Poultry Wormer [Levamisole] available from Vet-N-Pet Direct [who I also use for most of my pets needs].

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/kil...132B87&gdffi=10600f223f474e1c9ae213f32fb3a662

It has two treatment dosages; the weaker dose only treating round worm but the stronger dose treats for more. BUT the trick is you need to redose after 10 days in order to kill any hatching larvae.

If you did not redose after the treatment 2 months ago, that will probably be why you are still having issues.

Or, you could also try Avitrol Plus [Levamisole & Praziquantel], also available from Vet-N-Pet Direct.

Attachments

• 20180217_091134.jpg
    20180217_091134.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom