Help with worms

KatefromOz

Songster
5 Years
Sep 5, 2017
Hi all...I'm feeling like a bad chicken mamma today. I let my girls out this morning and my RIR hen did a poop and it was heaps of worms...I think they were roundworms (I have a pic). To be honest, it was mostly worms and tiny bit of poop. They were still moving and it was quite horrifying. I check my girls poop almost daily and this is the first time I've seen any signs of worms. They were only wormed about 2 months ago (there was evidence of worms back then too). I feel like I'm not caring for them well enough :(
I will worm them this afternoon. We use vetsense kilverm...there isn't much else around where I live. Is there something I should be doing better to prevent them getting worms? By the way I'm in Australia and we are having an extreme heat wave so i do have a mister going on the grass all day...apparently worms thrive in damp environments. Thanks!

I bet you're not a bad chicken Mommy! :jumpy The fact that you care to go through the trouble of researching to solve the problem shows you're a good one. :)
I hope that the tips below help. :D

Rotate Wormers:
Different wormers cover different spectrums of worms. Plus, rotating ensures that you don't end up with super worms (worms that are immune to a certain wormer). Most wormers can be ordered online if you can't find them in your area.

Avoid Feeding Chickens off the Ground:

The more chickens eat off the ground, the more parasites they consume from the dirt/ground.

Feed Chickens Vitamin C + Probiotics
or ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) in Water:

This changes the PH of the intestinal tract, making it harder for worms to thrive. I use and highly recommend Alltech's 4 way acid pak supplement, which you can get here ---> Acid Pak 4 Way and read more about here ---> About Acid Pak 4 Way

Deter Pests:
Flies, rodents, darkling beetles and even songbirds around the chicken area can pass worms on to the chickens. If you notice any around the coop, it would be a good idea to deter them.​

Thanks for the information. I might try to get another type of wormer. I also need to start putting ACV in their water again...I stopped this during the hest wave beacuse I always worry they don't drink as much with the vinegar in their water. Hopefully we will see some cooler weather in the coming months which should help a lot (especially with the dreaded flies).
Thanks again! :)

Please post pic.
Any chance you can get a fecal done?
Have you wormed in the past?

I wormed my chickens about 2 months ago with kilverm. I don't think there is any where close that could do a fecal test. I will make some calls today.

Attachments

• 20180216_054447.jpg
    20180216_054447.jpg
    879.6 KB · Views: 32
You are not a bad chicken momma!!! But if they have worms maybe try Dietanatios Earth (I didn’t spell that right) if you were to get it put it in the chicken feed and the roost. Put it in the food and roost once every time you clean your coop. Keep on giving it to them until they have no more worms in their poop.

You are not a bad chicken momma!!! But if they have worms maybe try Dietanatios Earth (I didn’t spell that right) if you were to get it put it in the chicken feed and the roost. Put it in the food and roost once every time you clean your coop. Keep on giving it to them until they have no more worms in their poop.
Please for the love of money do not buy DE...it will not prevent worms nor will it get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom