Help with wound

Sccily

Hatching
Dec 12, 2020
Went to go tuck in my chickens the other night and my Goldie (gold spitzhauben) came up to me with all skin missing from the back of her neck. We cleaned it out, added triple antibiotic and are keeping her separate. Can she survive this??

Attachments

• A810C19F-FCF7-46EB-B887-16AF48A662BB.jpeg
    A810C19F-FCF7-46EB-B887-16AF48A662BB.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 7
As long as you keep it cleaned, yes.
If you look around on here, chickens with much worse injuries have survived.
Don't worry. :hugs

Yes, she can survive. Once healed you will likely not be able to tell it happened. Do you have a rooster?
Keep it covered with the ointment, reapply several times a day as needed to keep it covered and moist. It will likely develop a thick scab which will slowly shrink from the edges in. Do keep her separate until it's healed enough so that she doesn't get pecked and make it worse. This can happen with a rough rooster, or if the bird is attacked by flockmates sometimes. I had a hen scalped very similarly by other hens, picture below was about 5 weeks later, you can't even tell it happened now.
headwound.jpg

Needed encouragement to help
Yes, she can survive. Once healed you will likely not be able to tell it happened. Do you have a rooster?
Keep it covered with the ointment, reapply several times a day as needed to keep it covered and moist. It will likely develop a thick scab which will slowly shrink from the edges in. Do keep her separate until it's healed enough so that she doesn't get pecked and make it worse. This can happen with a rough rooster, or if the bird is attacked by flockmates sometimes. I had a hen scalped very similarly by other hens, picture below was about 5 weeks later, you can't even tell it happened now.
View attachment 2446910
Thats what I needed to hear, thank you! We have her separated, we know it was due to too many roosters...dealing with that. Just not good with first aid, but if she has a chance, I’ll suck up for my Goldie girl! Thank you!

Thank you! I saw other post, but needed encouragement that my Goldie could make it thru this. Thanks!

Last edited:
Maybe a predator got a hold of her. What time did you find her like this? Most predators like to attack at dusk, so maybe that's what caused it... But yes, I believe she will make it.:)
Thank you for your reply. We think it was one of our (two) roosters. We are trying to decide which one stays. Have exhausted external resources, now have to decide. We have a small flock of 5 girls that they tag team, one rooster has to go. They all got along as chicks, sucks when they get older and you have to choose!

Back
Top Bottom