Help, wobbly and falling down and getting worse

Meganhswoda

Hatching
Mar 27, 2023
Hen - aged 1.5 years, off balance x 8 days (and counting) can only take a couple steps before falling over, now she can barely stand, her legs are shaking, pale comb, poop is normal, maybe a little watery, she is the only sick one, I have her inside away from the others. She is still eating and drinking. I thought it could be a vitamin deficiency, started vitamin b complex, vitamin e and nutri drench but she is only getting worse. Any ideas are welcome!

Attachments

• 20230328_202813.jpg
    20230328_202813.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 56
Welcome To BYC

When was her last egg?

Have you added any new birds recently or could she have gotten into something toxic (oil spill, compost, weed killer, etc.)?
She may be suffering from disease like Marek's. It's hard to know.

You are on the right track with trying vitamin therapy to see if she improves.

Welcome To BYC

When was her last egg?

Have you added any new birds recently or could she have gotten into something toxic (oil spill, compost, weed killer, etc.)?
She may be suffering from disease like Marek's. It's hard to know.

You are on the right track with trying vitamin therapy to see if she improves.
No new birds and nothing accessible to have gotten into, she hasn't laid in 10 days.
Should she be getting better by now with the vitamins?

A very similar thing happened to my buff Orpington she wasn’t getting better so we took her to be euthanized but the vet said with some steroids she should be back to normal and she is! That was from a predator so it might be different.
You just reminded me. I gave vitamins for a week or so and nothing was improving. She was too young for Marek’s and there was no sign of injury.
I had decided it was time to euthanize and asked the vet to do it.
I was very sad when I brought her to the vet and we opened the box to say our goodbyes and she flew out and walked around on the vet’s desk (pooping massively over her own file).
My jaw dropped. She had been unable to stand only a couple of hours previously.

@Meganhswoda i do hope you see a similar sudden turnaround.
I have to ask, but have you excluded Marek’s? You can send a swab off to a lab to do a PCR test.

You just reminded me. I gave vitamins for a week or so and nothing was improving. She was too young for Marek’s and there was no sign of injury.
I had decided it was time to euthanize and asked the vet to do it.
I was very sad when I brought her to the vet and we opened the box to say our goodbyes and she flew out and walked around on the vet’s desk (pooping massively over her own file).
My jaw dropped. She had been unable to stand only a couple of hours previously.

@Meganhswoda i do hope you see a similar sudden turnaround.
I have to ask, but have you excluded Marek’s? You can send a swab off to a lab to do a PCR test.
I haven't but I talked to the vet and he said he would be surprised if it was marek's but I just don't know. I feel so bad for her 😞

Hen - aged 1.5 years, off balance x 8 days (and counting) can only take a couple steps before falling over, now she can barely stand, her legs are shaking, pale comb, poop is normal, maybe a little watery, she is the only sick one, I have her inside away from the others. She is still eating and drinking. I thought it could be a vitamin deficiency, started vitamin b complex, vitamin e and nutri drench but she is only getting worse. Any ideas are welcome!
I have a hen that has a vitamin deficiency off and on and does this. The first time it happened, it took her two weeks to show improvement. I used several different vitamins, but found that Poultry Cell works the best for her. She needs b vitamins, e, and selenium along with the others. I give her an electrolyte and probiotic mix along with the vitamins. When she can't drink enough or frequently enough, I syringe it into her 0.5 ml at a time until she gets 10+ ml.
Keep giving her the vitamins and don't give up. Also, when she improves, keep giving them to her for at least two weeks after.

I have a hen that has a vitamin deficiency off and on and does this. The first time it happened, it took her two weeks to show improvement. I used several different vitamins, but found that Poultry Cell works the best for her. She needs b vitamins, e, and selenium along with the others. I give her an electrolyte and probiotic mix along with the vitamins. When she can't drink enough or frequently enough, I syringe it into her 0.5 ml at a time until she gets 10+ ml.
Keep giving her the vitamins and don't give up. Also, when she improves, keep giving them to her for at least two weeks after.
🙏🙏 thank you!! Hopefully she improves, we will for sure keep on with the vitamins! Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom