1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Woke up to a puffed up hen!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by csummer8882, Sep 17, 2011.

1. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    [​IMG]

Here she is puffy and tail down.....I don't know what to do! Any advice I would greatly appreciate. She is just 5 months old, I dont think she is laying yet. I have 6 hens and 4 are laying so far. I don't know if she is or not. I can never catch them in the nest boxes. I have seen her drink today but not seen a poop. Wasn't down there too long as the kids have a ton of sports today! [​IMG]

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Poor dear! I would start by separating her into her own cage, or section a part of the coop for her. That way you can see for certain just what, if anything, is coming out of her, and how much she is eating & drinking.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Hopefully, it's just an egg. I know I would look like that if I had something the size of my head try to come out of my butt. I hope she's OK. Watch her, maybe if you feel her behind, you can see what's going on. See if she panics, or trusts you to make it better.
    If it's the first egg, congratulations! And keep an eye on her this weekend. Check back with us.

4. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Well, I went down just a bit ago. She is normal, tail up and running with the rest of the hens. Honking for treats LOL Maybe she is working on an egg? I will keep an eye on her and keep you all posted. Thanks for all the advice! [​IMG]

5. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    My hen is doing the same thing and she looks real sleepy.... she is about 4 or 5 months old and I dont think she has laid an egg yet do you think that could be her problem?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by