Help! Worms!

chickiemama27

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Good afternoon! We’ve been keeping chickens for five years and have not had experience with worms. I have a mother hen who has a baby that is eight days old. She just went to the bathroom and had white longer thin worms in her stool. I’m sure baby has them now too. What do I do? That means the flock likely has them 🤦‍♀️ It was pretty nasty!

Buy Valbazen cattle/sheep wormer and dose all your chickens orally 1/2ml with the liquid using a syringe without needle. Redose again in 10-14 days.
As far as the chick is concerned, it depends if the chick has been pecking/picking the through the litter or soil. The chick could pick up and swallow worm eggs. The eggs would be infective since the mother hen excreted them. Wormers are ineffective treating worm eggs. It would be best to give the chick one or two drops of Valbazen mixed with one or two drops of water for better gut coverage. Use an eyedropper and put the drops onto the side of the chicks beak in order for the chick to swallow the liquid. Repeat in 14 days.

I would get Valbazen from a feed store or online, and treat the hen with 0.08 ml per pound of weight—about 1/2 ml for a 6 pound chicken. Give it once orally and again in 10 days. I would not treat chicks for worms until they are at least 2 months old. You should treat the other grown chickens in your flock.

I see that @dawg53 just chimed in with advice to worm the chicks, too, and I would go with his advice.

Buy Valbazen cattle/sheep wormer and dose all your chickens orally 1/2ml with the liquid using a syringe without needle. Redose again in 10-14 days.
As far as the chick is concerned, it depends if the chick has been pecking/picking the through the litter or soil. The chick could pick up and swallow worm eggs. The eggs would be infective since the mother hen excreted them. Wormers are ineffective treating worm eggs. It would be best to give the chick one or two drops of Valbazen mixed with one or two drops of water for better gut coverage. Use an eyedropper and put the drops onto the side of the chicks beak in order for the chick to swallow the liquid. Repeat in 14 days.
Have you tried Strike lll dewormer? Or so you know anything about it?

Durvet Strike lll USED to be a good wormer. The active ingredient in the contents that eliminated worms was actually an antibiotic, hygromycin B. The hygromycin B was removed from the product. It is no longer an effective wormer. The same is true for Rooster Booster Triple Action wormer.
It's best to stick with benzimidazole wormers. They are the safest, very effective wormers on the market.

Durvet Strike lll USED to be a good wormer. The active ingredient in the contents that eliminated worms was actually an antibiotic, hygromycin B. The hygromycin B was removed from the product. It is no longer an effective wormer. The same is true for Rooster Booster Triple Action wormer.
It's best to stick with benzimidazole wormers. They are the safest, very effective wormers on the market.
Thank you. Is there a withdrawal period? Where do you recommend purchasing?

Normally there's a 14 day egg withdrawal period after worming with either Safeguard or Valbazen. Both are benzimidazoles and they are poorly absorbed in the chickens system and mostly excreted. That said, we eat the eggs after worming. We're still here and I'm still typing.
You can eat the eggs if you wish, but if you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, then toss the eggs in the garbage for a couple of weeks.
Tractor Supply or some feed stores usually carry the Safeguard liquid goat wormer. I normally purchase Valbazen from Jefferspet.com.

Follow up question on worming:

I’ve found a natural wormer at tractor supply that actually has some good active ingredients. Can chickens have...cascara, clove, slippery elm, chaparrol and juniper? It also contains garlic, kelp, sage and wormwood

Active ingredients....

Attachments

• E2322B87-B9BD-48FE-94CB-4A47F22F7580.jpeg
    E2322B87-B9BD-48FE-94CB-4A47F22F7580.jpeg
    422.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom