1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Wrinkly Eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horseface, Aug 4, 2016.

1. horseface

horseface Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2015
    UK
    Does anyone know the cause of wrinkly eggs please? I have a couple of hens that have just started laying them and I want to get to the bottom of it. Thanks.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    As long as they are on layer feed, or general flock feed with optional oyster shell then I would not worry too much. It can take a while before new layers get their plumbing sorted out. You may well see the odd soft shelled, or even shell less eggs - again, nothing to be concerned about, providing their feeding regime is as described.

1 person likes this.
  3. horseface

May 13, 2015
    UK
    Thank you for your reply, they are on the feed you suggested, the only thing is that this is their second year laying and they haven't laid anything like that before, I was hoping that they haven't got a disease or anything? They all look really healthy and aren't showing any other signs or symptoms.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
  5. horseface

May 13, 2015
    UK
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015

Been there - not pretty at all. Sorry to hear that [​IMG]

7. horseface

May 13, 2015
    UK
    Thanks, I have lost a few but thanks to a great local poultry vet I've got the rest through it. Every day is a learning day with hens!

8. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    It sure is. Problem could be that your flock will remain carriers of the IB. It means that selling any stock in the future is a no-no. If that will not bother you, then it's fine

9. horseface

May 13, 2015
    UK
    Thankfully they are just a lovely hobby for me, I shan't be selling any. I'd just love to know how or where they caught it! I hadn't introduced any new ones for months!

10. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Thats all good then. Trying to find the cause may well be a fruitless endeavour, but if you hatch chicks, vaccinate them against IB on day 1 and all should be fine. That's what i do and it seems to work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by