Help! Wrinkly Eggs

horseface

In the Brooder
May 13, 2015
UK
Does anyone know the cause of wrinkly eggs please? I have a couple of hens that have just started laying them and I want to get to the bottom of it. Thanks.

As long as they are on layer feed, or general flock feed with optional oyster shell then I would not worry too much. It can take a while before new layers get their plumbing sorted out. You may well see the odd soft shelled, or even shell less eggs - again, nothing to be concerned about, providing their feeding regime is as described.

Thank you for your reply, they are on the feed you suggested, the only thing is that this is their second year laying and they haven't laid anything like that before, I was hoping that they haven't got a disease or anything? They all look really healthy and aren't showing any other signs or symptoms.

Turns out they had IB! What a nightmare!

Been there - not pretty at all. Sorry to hear that
1f622.png

It sure is. Problem could be that your flock will remain carriers of the IB. It means that selling any stock in the future is a no-no. If that will not bother you, then it's fine

It sure is. Problem could be that your flock will remain carriers of the IB. It means that selling any stock in the future is a no-no. If that will not bother you, then it's fine
Thankfully they are just a lovely hobby for me, I shan't be selling any. I'd just love to know how or where they caught it! I hadn't introduced any new ones for months!

Thats all good then. Trying to find the cause may well be a fruitless endeavour, but if you hatch chicks, vaccinate them against IB on day 1 and all should be fine. That's what i do and it seems to work

Back
Top Bottom