Help!! Yellow on comb and edges of beak?!

There are 2 types of pox: wet and dry. Dry = black scabs. Wet = yellow crust and cankers.

It will pass, too, but is more troublesome because the lesions can get inside their mouths and throats. I'd check inside their beaks. If you see lesions, you can try to remove them with something like a qtip.

ETA: It's also viral, so it just needs to run its course. But I would watch them closely. It can cause breathing complications. And it's dangerous for chicks.
It will only pass if treated. It spreads slowly but surely so it is very viral. Don't let it run its course, vaccinate and treat the other chickens. But you are so right aunt angus!😉

It will only pass if treated. It spreads slowly but surely so it is very viral. Don't let it run its course, vaccinate and treat the other chickens. But you are so right aunt angus!😉
There really is no treatment because it's viral (antifungals and antibiotics won't treat it, but may help ward off secondary infections), though hou can clean up lesions. My birds recovered fine. There may be relapses if they get stressed, but mine haven't had any relapses yet.

There is a vaccine, but they already have it, so....

Thank you all so much! I will keep a close eye on them and I will check their throats. Last week egg production dropped so I'm assuming they were feeling cruddy, but they are back to eating ALL day and I'm getting lots of eggs.

Also, my RIRs are mean and they are the ones that are sick and I have a hard time catching them. I can't even bribe them with treats 😂

https://www.chewy.com/banixx-chixx-...rhIosDxnxmmzUVmdLkqRWOovUOQHeZNUaAnJQEALw_wcB

This is great for other chickens and the chicken dealing with fowl pox. Make sure to check to see if the other chickens have crust on them yet as well.

There really is no treatment because it's viral (antifungals and antibiotics won't treat it, but may help ward off secondary infections), though hou can clean up lesions. My birds recovered fine. There may be relapses if they get stressed, but mine haven't had any relapses yet.

Thank you all so much! I will keep a close eye on them and I will check their throats. Last week egg production dropped so I'm assuming they were feeling cruddy, but they are back to eating ALL day and I'm getting lots of eggs.

Also, my RIRs are mean and they are the ones that are sick and I have a hard time catching them. I can't even bribe them with treats 😂
Egg production dropping is a huge sign of fowl pox. I am glad we could help you to the best of our abilities find the disease, and hopefully, help with the cure. Praying for you hen to be okay, along with the others!

This is a really good point. I think mine have relapsed because they have been a little more scared and jumpy lately... Not sure why they are even jumpy with me in the run and the all know me and usually sit on my head and shoulders.

My RIRs are mean too, but they are good egg layers so I have a hard time getting rid of them! Although mine are easy to catch they get down really low and freeze!😅

Back
Top Bottom