HELP - Yolk leaking out of chick!

sideWing

Songster
6 Years
Apr 9, 2015
Utah
I have a chick about 3 days old and the yolk is draining out of it. I'm assuming it's where the umbilical cord would be in a mammal. Can he make it through this? Is there anything I can do?
I have separated it from the others so they won't pick at it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I haven't delt with this but I have read a lot about chicks and potential problems. I think most chicks don't make it if this is the issue. Only thing you can do is keep it clean and maybe put antibiotic ointment around the site to prevent infection. If you look up under the health section and chicks it has this listed and what to do. Good luck!

I think most of them that die are those that have yolk outside or a yolk leak right after hatch out of the egg. I was cleaning off some pasty butt and the yolk plug came with it.
1f61f.png
So I think this is a little different situation. At least I hope so. It seems to have clotted itself with the yoke for now and the chick seems ok. I guess I will have to see how it does over the next 24 hours. Won't they just eat the food and water they have available if they don't have the yolk inside? I'm not sure what percent was lost. Thank you for the reply.

An update for anyone that comes across this thread in the future. This chicks abdomen has stopped leaking Yolk by itself. I separated it into a small box with heat, water, and food. It's eating drinking and walking around just fine today.

I just got baby chicks in yesterday. This morning I noticed one lethargic chick and sure enough it had pasty butt. So I cleaned her up but then noticed the yolk leaking out right underneath where she poops!!!

I wiped it up and it was leaking out for a few minutes. I put neosporin on it and am now just letting her rest under heat lamp.

Anything else I can do?

Poor little lady. And she is a blue copper marans. :(

I think she will die. She hasn't eaten and I have been giving her water but she is just sleeping.

Never seen this before. So sad because she is one I really wanted for my flock. ;(

I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar situation. First off they were shipped eggs which got held up for 2 days. This is the only one that hatched. Looks like she is blind. Has a leaky yellow but but not nearly as much in the OP pic. I don't have the heart to cull it. It'll just run straight to the wall and hang out. Poor thing.

I just had a chick die. It had hatched last night or earlier today. I checked the nest and found it looking very weak, so I took it into the house to keep warm. I gave it some electrolytes, and it was trying to swallow.
A little later (maybe 30 mins) I checked on it to give it a few more drops of electrolytes and found that it was leaking a little bit of yellow fluid. It wouldn't even try to open its mouth to drink. Then I felt wetness and when I looked down there was yellow liquid everywhere!

Could it have been Mushy Chick Disease? I don't understand it very clearly, but from what I do understand I am not convinced that Mushy Chick Disease was the problem.

I believe the yolk sack was absorbed and it had a little 'fat belly/butt' like I have seen during previous successful hatches. Its 'belly button' was red and protruding a bit, but that didn't seem too out of the ordinary with what I have seen before. It was not actively leaking when I had found it, although it looked as though it had been earlier or that it was just drying from being newly hatched. There did appear to be part of a leaf stuck on its belly button that I was too afraid to remove.

Does anyone have any insights into what happened?

I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar situation. First off they were shipped eggs which got held up for 2 days. This is the only one that hatched. Looks like she is blind. Has a leaky yellow but but not nearly as much in the OP pic. I don't have the heart to cull it. It'll just run straight to the wall and hang out. Poor thing.

Did your chick survive?

I am wondering whether giving the chick fluids caused too much pressure inside its body, which then caused its body to burst at the weakest point (i.e., the belly button).
Would this be reasonable to assume?

Back
Top Bottom