1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Yolk sack still bulging

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by setting_silkie, Apr 3, 2007.

1. setting_silkie

setting_silkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have one chick in the bator that was having a really hard time coming out...one of the last of 12. I finally decided after a whole day to help him along. I took some of the shell off and let him have a go at it and he still wasn't able to do much. So I removed the rest of the shell and now I see that his yolk sack is not completely absorbed. Is there any hope? Should I do anything? He's still in the bator and I'm just not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

See if you can't keep it moist and that it doesnt get pecked on, caught on things, or broken. There is some hope still.

3. Mama Bird

Mama Bird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2007
    i have had many chicks hatch with this. OUt of 26 (yes ive kept a tally) only one ive been succesful of saving. Usually the yolk sac just breaks and the chick imidatly dies. With the one i saved i put the chick upside down and stuffed it back in with a wet cloth.*( all the other chicks didnt have a big enough opening for me to push back in) Then i took a paint brush and dipped it in egg white painted it over the opening then took a blow dryer and blowed it until it dried. then placed a band aid over it for extra support. i was very fortunate because three days later it closed up! [​IMG] this was very exiting because this was the 12th attempt and it worked! bUT all the others didnt. hope this helps keep us updated. thanx.

-Mama Bird- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by