Help! young hen just died

TheDennenFarm

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
Orlando, FL
This morning, I let my hens out of the coop into the yard as normal. One of them, Lucky, stepped out and just stood there. Her comb was very pale and limp. I watched her for a bit and she never moved. She had yellow runny diarrhea. She wouldn't even eat her favorite treat (yogurt). I went to the local feed store to get antibiotics and by the time I got back she was lying on the ground panting. Within thirty mins, she was twitching and then she died! Anyone know what could have happened? She was perfectly fine yesterday. Thanks for the help.

Wow. I am so sorry that you lost your hen. I wish I had some great words of wisdom to offer, but I'm kinda new to the chicken business myself. I have had a hen die about 2 months ago. She kind of did what yours did and then I found her gone. ( In my case, I think it was a tumor) It is sad. I hope someone can give you more than I. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am and that I know the feeling. Good luck.

I had a rooster who did that once and I had an autopsy done and he had Marck's disease (this was before they started vaccinating baby chicks). Though, the causes could be anything with your hen. The only way to be sure is to have an autopsy if you can afford it to find out if it's something you need to treat your whole flock for. Otherwise just keep a good eye on the rest of your girls. Sorry about your loss.

Back
Top Bottom