HELP!!!!! YOUNG MUSOVY DUCK IS ILL!!

If egg bound she needs a dose of calcium gluconate [TSC carries it in the cattle section,] 1 ml by mouth it helps to get contractions going to move the egg. And will not hurt her even if it isn't an egg problem.
Not all birds die from botulism from what I have read. So the fact that she is still alive but not showing much improvement makes me wonder if not something else. An egg stuck can cause a nerve to be pinched and cause a bird to be unable to walk. So lets try the cal gluconate and warm soaks in the tub.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/#post-14940303
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/obturator-paralysis.1438777/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Question: did you treat for botulism? if so what?
Also, if she is egg-bound how life-threateningly urgent is it?

Very life-threatening so you need to get the cal glu in her asap,cal glu and warm soaks are the best way to help her besides a vet who would admin the cal glu via shot or IV. and I am not saying for sure this is her issue but here on BYC we have to eliminate instead of diagnose. Her symptoms could be other things too, Infection etc.

Very life-threatening so you need to get the cal glu in her asap,cal glu and warm soaks are the best way to help her besides a vet who would admin the cal glu via shot or IV
Ok, thank you. If this is the case then she's been like this for 48 hours, if it were to get more complicated could she begin to show other symptoms to give us a good idea?

Very life-threatening so you need to get the cal glu in her asap,cal glu and warm soaks are the best way to help her besides a vet who would admin the cal glu via shot or IV. and I am not saying for sure this is her issue but here on BYC we have to eliminate instead of diagnose. Her symptoms could be other things too, Infection etc.
We don't have a vet nearby that is willing to help with birds, but we have two medics in the household who can inject it into her

Do you notice her uncomfortable? her vent pulsing? I have only had one Muscovy who had egg laying problems. I noticed she was just laying around not moving much so I brought her inside and gave her many long warm soaks in the tub, I didn't know about Calcium gluconate this was many years ago, She came in on Sat morning actually laid an egg Sunday morning and died Sunday evening So I am thinking she must have had an infection. Most of the time they are so far gone before we notice they are ill it is too late. Being prey they hide their sickness to keep from being picked off by predators. A member here took one of her Runners into the vet becasue she was egg bound the Vet gave her a shot of Calcium gluconate to help her pass the egg, That is how we found out about this way to treat. @DuckyDonna has used it many times to treat her egg bound duck.

when was the last time she laid?

Do you notice her uncomfortable? her vent pulsing? I have only had one Muscovy who had egg laying problems. I noticed she was just laying around not moving much so I brought her inside and gave her many long warm soaks in the tub, I didn't know about Calcium gluconate this was many years ago, She came in on Sat morning actually laid an egg Sunday morning and died Sunday evening So I am thinking she must have had an infection. Most of the time they are so far gone before we notice they are ill it is too late. Being prey they hide their sickness to keep from being picked off by predators. A member here took one of her Runners into the vet becasue she was egg bound the Vet gave her a shot of Calcium gluconate to help her pass the egg, That is how we found out about this way to treat. @DuckyDonna has used it many times to treat her egg bound duck.

when was the last time she laid?
Ok, thank you so much Miss Lydia. Yesterday, when we set her down on the grass she started moving her neck and eating, and had apetite. She also chirped and would react to stimului. Her eyes seem swollen however, its gotten a bit better. Really hoping its botulism because if it is, then she should've already passed it @DuckyDonna any advice?

I just finished reading this thread and it seems to me that if it were botulism she wouldn't be living by now or eating, drinking, and communicating. How is her poop looking?

Do you only have 2 ducks? 1 drake and her? If that is so I'm leaning toward over-mating. Which could explain the eye problem too. Sometimes the drakes will go for the eyes. He also could have hurt her back or legs if he was too rambunctious.

Whatever you find with her vent I would still get some calcium Gluconate at TSC and give her 1ml orally making sure that you get it down the DUCK'S RIGHT side of her mouth otherwise it goes down her trachea. It's only about $8 I think and you need to have it on hand anyway.
3636C75A-4DF9-40F2-9FE3-886DBCC9564E_4_5005_c.jpeg

Have you been treating her eyes? a nice saline wash may help but if there is an infection Terramycin eye ointment is best.

Your asking me to be a vet. I cannot say what all outward signs your going to see with an egg bound duck, there are some walking like a penguin tail down. Pulsing vent, staying in the coop or nest box long periods of time, lethargy, not eating or drinking. Possibly other symptoms. An egg stuck and pressing on nerves can cause your duck to be lame. Once the egg passes then they are able to walk again.
If she is just been abused by your drake then keeping her from him but where they can see each other is best, Making sure she is eating and drinking and treating her eyes. You should see her recover pretty good in less than a week, if this is the problem. Many of us have to keep our drakes from over using a female.

I just finished reading this thread and it seems to me that if it were botulism she wouldn't be living by now or eating, drinking, and communicating. How is her poop looking?

Do you only have 2 ducks? 1 drake and her? If that is so I'm leaning toward over-mating. Which could explain the eye problem too. Sometimes the drakes will go for the eyes. He also could have hurt her back or legs if he was too rambunctious.

Whatever you find with her vent I would still get some calcium Gluconate at TSC and give her 1ml orally making sure that you get it down the DUCK'S RIGHT side of her mouth otherwise it goes down her trachea. It's only about $8 I think and you need to have it on hand anyway.
View attachment 2670679
If it were overmating, then how can we help her recover? Just let her recover in a stress-free environment? Also, can we completely discard botulism? If it had been botulism how long to wait before recovery?

Back
Top Bottom