HELP!!!!! YOUNG MUSOVY DUCK IS ILL!!

Have you been treating her eyes? a nice saline wash may help but if there is an infection Terramycin eye ointment is best.

Your asking me to be a vet. I cannot say what all outward signs your going to see with an egg bound duck, there are some walking like a penguin tail down. Pulsing vent, staying in the coop or nest box long periods of time, lethargy, not eating or drinking. Possibly other symptoms. An egg stuck and pressing on nerves can cause your duck to be lame. Once the egg passes then they are able to walk again.
If she is just been abused by your drake then keeping her from him but where they can see each other is best, Making sure she is eating and drinking and treating her eyes. You should see her recover pretty good in less than a week, if this is the problem. Many of us have to keep our drakes from over using a female.
Ok, thank you so much everyone I will keep you updated on her status it is possible that she suffered from overmating since our drake has always been a very agresive duck. They had been living separately for months. But eventually we decided to let them in the same coop since it seemed like htey were getting along fine. So it is very liekly that overmating is the issue.

I've read that Muscovy ducks start having eggs around 6 months of age unless its fall or winter. Its fall (nearly winter) here in Bolivia, so our muscovy reached that age around 2 months ago (early fall). So she should start laying around spring (September) discarding the possibility she is egg-bound or reducing the possibilities she is?

I've read that Muscovy ducks start having eggs around 6 months of age unless its fall or winter. Its fall (nearly winter) here in Bolivia, so our muscovy reached that age around 2 months ago (early fall). So she should start laying around spring (September) discarding the possibility she is egg-bound or reducing the possibilities she is?
Okay then. most of my Muscovy haven't began to lay until they are 8-9 months old the spring after they hatch. So I think we can say she isn't egg bound. And sorry we didn't realize you weren't in the USA and know it's not that easy to acquire many of the meds we can get, Unless you have access to Amazon.

Okay then. most of my Muscovy haven't began to lay until they are 8-9 months old the spring after they hatch. So I think we can say she isn't egg bound. And sorry we didn't realize you weren't in the USA and know it's not that easy to acquire many of the meds we can get, Unless you have access to Amazon.
Oh thank God 😞 Well then hopefully we can discard she is egg-bound since here in Bolivia its difficult to obtain many things especially because of the pandemic

If it were overmating, then how can we help her recover? Just let her recover in a stress-free environment? Also, can we completely discard botulism? If it had been botulism how long to wait before recovery?
Do exactly what @Miss Lydia just told you to do and she will recover.

You can't usually have just one female with 1 drake during the mating season without trouble. Get the Terramycin for her eye and that will get better too.

I just saw that you are in Bolivia and your seasons are opposite ours. So if this overmating is happening now and it's not even your "spring" yet then you either need to get some more girls or keep them permanently apart which I'm sure you really don't want to do. I have to do the same thing and it's a pain in the neck to do but is necessary.

Sorry here we are telling you to go to Tractor Supply and I'm sure that isn't possible. You might want to put your location on your avatar profile so that confusion doesn't happen again.

I just saw that you are in Bolivia and your seasons are opposite ours. So if this overmating is happening now and it's not even your "spring" yet then you either need to get some more girls or keep them permanently apart which I'm sure you really don't want to do. I have to do the same thing and it's a pain in the neck to do but is necessary.

Sorry here we are telling you to go to Tractor Supply and I'm sure that isn't possible. You might want to put your location on your avatar profile so that confusion doesn't happen again.
Yes, OK thank you so much. Our Pekin has always been extremely aggresive, and thats why our ducks had to live seaprately for months. Even when she was a duckling, our pekin would try to get on top of her and peck her eyes, and chase her around. So, if overmating is the case letting her be in a safe comfortable place should help her recover

UPDATE:
We found our Muscovy with her neck drooped, almost like a dead duck. We checked her chest to feel for a pulse, we found none. We believed she was dead

However when we were coming out again to find a place to bury her, we heard her chirping, and saw she was in the same position as this morning, no imrpovement but ALIVE. What just happened

Back
Top Bottom