Help! Young Reba sounds pitiful!

You said she is only 4 months old, so she probably isn’t laying yet. Any that haven’t started to reach sexual maturity/POL will have pale combs.
thank you for easing my mind!! I really love these darn chickens.... I have to keep repeating what my daughter says: Chickens are here for a GOOD time not a LONG time.

POL is point of lay, or when they start to lay eggs. The combs are usually pale until just before when they become red. A molting hen or one who does not lay anymore may become pale again.

POL is point of lay, or when they start to lay eggs. The combs are usually pale until just before when they become red. A molting hen or one who does not lay anymore may become pale again.
I was thinking they should all start laying really soon… is this a sign I am correct? All were hatched about May 20th

They may start within the next month or so. I got many different breeds and most started laying between 20-24 weeks. Some breeds lay later.
I have naked necks, easter eggers, polish, silkie mixed, saramas, and one silver laced wyandotte… so hopefully soon ??!!

My EE’s, wyandottes, and ameraucanas layed fairly early, but Polish and Silies were later, and poor layers. The silkies would lay a couple of weeks, and go broody all of the time. They have to be broken or they will starve themselves.

My EE’s, wyandottes, and ameraucanas layed fairly early, but Polish and Silies were later, and poor layers. The silkies would lay a couple of weeks, and go broody all of the time. They have to be broken or they will starve themselves.
Good info- thanks! We hatched them from my neighbor’s mixed flock- but purchased easter eggers & wyandottes- and the turduckens/naked necks… 😍 how pray-tell do I break them of going broody if/when they do?

A wire dog crate with food and water, but no bedding, is good for breaking broodies. I was fortunate to have large pen on the ground where my broodies would roam around and they had a roost to sit on. I would keep them in there for 5 days, and put them back in the coop. If they still went to the nest box, they would go back for an additional 3 days. Some could be very stubborn broodies.

Back
Top Bottom