Help!!!

duckkabob

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Could not find another section that would let me post. so started one here.

Headless ducklings!!! Was proud papa of 2 batches of mallard crossbreeds .Hens are mallards
1 batch 11 the other 5 all were looking great , hatched 1 day apart and was funny to see them blend together and 16 ducklings trying to get under one hen the first day .(actually flipped her over) next day went out to feed ,my flock free roaming, and only had 5 ducklings after searching entire day dragged the pond and found 11 on the bottom ! THE HEAD WAS GONE OFF OF ALL 11 !!

Is this duck intanfant sie or what called several vets , searched web ,here everywhere almost .
any help.

Headless ducklings!!! Was proud papa of 2 batches of mallard crossbreeds .Hens are mallards
1 batch 11 the other 5 all were looking great , hatched 1 day apart and was funny to see them blend together and 16 ducklings trying to get under one hen the first day .(actually flipped her over) next day went out to feed ,my flock free roaming, and only had 5 ducklings after searching entire day dragged the pond and found 11 on the bottom ! THE HEAD WAS GONE OFF OF ALL 11 !!

Is this duck intanfant sie or what called several vets , searched web ,here everywhere almost .
any help.
Welcome to BYC! Sorry for your losses... Any turtles in the pond? Maybe raccoons at night? Raccoons might grab a duckling and take it to the water. Drakes will sometime kill ducklings, but I don't think they remove their heads.

-Kathy

Very sad for you - in a pond, turtles, even large mouth bass can take a duckling. Predators tend to come back until they finish off the flock - so please consider that.

this is to thank all for there concern.
No turtles, raccoons, fish or any thing . lost 2 more , out of 16 have 3 left they are doing fine.
the 2 were just like the others no head taken off just at the beginning of the neck and never found different pond!! ( I have 2 one front and one back, front was fountain but ducks had a different idea!).
Finally decided it was one of the drakes noticed a couple of them being pond greedy and would run the other ducks out when they were in it one old mallard would even chase out the others when he wasn't in it. these are very small pounds but so far have met the needs of the ducks.
Wish the others had made it the 3 are a constant source of laughter and amusement .one today ate so much at feeding time his craw was as big as his body looked like he had a fuzzy golf ball under his bill!!

any help.

Do you have Fox's?
Fox's kill for fun some times and when they do they just eat the head off the bird.

Back
Top Bottom