1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrsjrad, Feb 24, 2016.

1. mrsjrad

mrsjrad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2016
    Hey all,

So I was a little late putting my eggs into lockdown, it was like 18 days 20 hours, so anyway, opened the incubator to take them out and remove the egg turner and put back in on rubber mat, only to notice an egg has pipped!!! So I can hear baby chick cheeping away, however no progress is being made on the zipping and I'm worried I've shrink wrapped the chick!

Would you recommend assisting the hatch in 24 hours if she's not out yet??? I have read a lot about not assisting but I feel like this is my fault [​IMG]

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Yes I would assist the chick by
    Taking off some shell without taking
    Off membrane.If I have to do this
    I will take off the shell with a pin
    Like a sewing one.
    Try not to take off any membrane or the chick
    Might bleed.
    Assist in 24 hours if no progress
    Is being made.
    Goodluck

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  3. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    What is your humidity at? If the chick just pipped it is unlikely that you shrink wrapped it. I would get your humidity up to about 75%. There are a lot of factors to consider if you are going to assist. The majority of all eggs will hatch unassisted. It is really a very small number that really need to be assisted. Here is a link to a thread on this site that have people who have experience with assisting. If you feel like you are getting to that point, get on that thread. There will be a lot of help there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by