Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bhchickens, Mar 7, 2016.

1. bhchickens

bhchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    Troy AL
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/IMG] I am pretty positive this chick is a Cochin bantam but I have no idea what color. I originally thought it was black but it now has white feathers coming in. What color do you think it is?

2. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    Looks like it might be a mottled cochin bantam. Where did you get it- did it come from a hatchery? If you know which, it helps because we can cross reference their available selection.

3. bhchickens

bhchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    Troy AL
    i got it out of the Tractor supply bantam bin

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    It could be a black Cochin. The first few primaries of black breeds can come in white, but are molted out as the bird matures.

5. ChickenHermit

ChickenHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2015
    Astoria, OR
    Not quite sure on hatchery then! I think they get them from different hatcheries, depending on the store.

My guess would be mottled- they have that yellow/white with black backs look to them, as well as he speckles around the eyes and face. There's an outside chance it could be black, as they sometimes get a few white primaries, but they don't tend to have that much white down, as a rule.

Here's my mottled cochin bantam chick, for reference. She's a week old in the photo below.

[​IMG]
    Her feathers are coming in just like your chick's are- black primaries over white primaries at the edge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by