Help

crist

Hatching
Mar 26, 2016
My small chicken had been limping for two days on inspection it was ok but she was holding it up. Checked 2 days later and the leg is now black with a yellowish lump at the top of her hock. Other than this she seems perfectly fine - she is still eating and drinking and getting around. Does anyone know what this might be?

Can you post a picture or two of the leg? Can you see anything constricting the leg like a leg band or string? Is the leg bruised or black from no circulation? Has there been freezing temperatures where frostbite may have been a problem? Do you think it was injured? How old is she?

I am waiting for hubby to get home to help me catch her (she is still quick on one leg!) we live in Qld so temperature is hot so not frostbite. There is nothing constricting the leg. She is holding it up close to her body but it is a purple/light black color. There is a yellowish lump on her hock. Not sure if it was injured, but all of the others are ok. She would be about 8 months old. It could be circulation but there is nothing restricting blood flow....

These are her. You can see she is only on one leg but otherwise ok. I will get photos of the leg when hubby is back

You can just continue to post on this same thread. No need to have multiple threads going at the same time with same issue. I would guess without seeing the discolored leg that it is bruised from an injury. Mycoplasma synovitis can cause yellow exudate under the skin on hock joints. Holding the leg up is an indication of an injury. If there is paralysis, they usually will drag the leg or walk on it without feeling it. I will continue to look at this thread for the new pics later. In the meantime, I would place her in a crate with food and water in the coop or run with the other chickens. She needs to rest the leg for a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom