Horrible scaly hen feet!

Sequel

Enabler
9 Years
Feb 17, 2015
Kitsap County, Western Washington
My neighbor has this hen, what on earth can be done with these feet? The nails were trimmed before I left the barn and she put Vaseline on the scaly legs.

Hen is eating and drinking, her eyes and feathers look just great but she’s not walking. I can get better pictures tomorrow but can anyone tell what this might be?
Her hock joints seem ok but she did not want me touching her feet.
IMG_4698.jpeg
IMG_4699.jpeg

It is scaly leg mites. It might help to soak the legs in warm Epsom salts water for 15 minutes and give the legs a mild scrub with a toothbrush. Then redo the vaseline or other oils, such as mineral, castor, or Nustock cream, a sulfur/pine oil/mineral oil mixture every other day until new scale start to grow in in a few weeks. Do any other hens have these?

It is scaly leg mites. It might help to soak the legs in warm Epsom salts water for 15 minutes and give the legs a mild scrub with a toothbrush. Then redo the vaseline or other oils, such as mineral, castor, or Nustock cream, a sulfur/pine oil/mineral oil mixture every other day until new scale start to grow in in a few weeks. Do any other hens have these?
Thank you for replying! I don’t think so but I will tell them to look closely.

My neighbor has this hen, what on earth can be done with these feet? The nails were trimmed before I left the barn and she put Vaseline on the scaly legs.

Hen is eating and drinking, her eyes and feathers look just great but she’s not walking. I can get better pictures tomorrow but can anyone tell what this might be?
Her hock joints seem ok but she did not want me touching her feet. View attachment 3745811View attachment 3745812
I agree, I'd get a better look at the bottom of her feet too. Looks like bumblefoot or the foot pads are damaged somehow.
Get someone to help spread the feet apart and get some photos if possible.

Good suggestions for treating the SLM.

Also, check her over/through her feathers for any lice or mites on the body too. If you find any, give her a good dusting with a Permethrin based poultry dust.

I agree, I'd get a better look at the bottom of her feet too. Looks like bumblefoot or the foot pads are damaged somehow.
Get someone to help spread the feet apart and get some photos if possible.

Good suggestions for treating the SLM.

Also, check her over/through her feathers for any lice or mites on the body too. If you find any, give her a good dusting with a Permethrin based poultry dust.
Will do thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom