Hen with curled toe paralysis or Marek's disease. Please advise

Oct 14, 2021
My Red Star hen, Rosie, stopped walking a few days ago. She was stumbling around unable to keep her balance. Since then her feet have become completely paralyzed and curled up into fists. She can't walk or sit up, only shift around now and then.

Before I continue, I should mention she has been suffering scaly leg mites for about a year now. I was treating them but fell out of the habit because of a busy life and they got a bit worse (completely my bad, I'm going to treat them regularly from now on busy or not). However I don't know if that's what caused this. No doubt it contributed.

She eats and drinks and her droppings have been normal for the most part, sometimes solid and bright green and sometimes watery and pale yellow/pale green.
Whenever she eats, she has a hard time figuring out where the food is, like she can't coordinate where her head goes. That has actually gotten a bit better over time. Her eyes look totally normal, no tiny or weirdly shaped pupils.
She hates drinking water, will only do it sometimes. I have to force her to drink now and then.

She keeps dozing off/squinting her eyes.

I checked for lice/mites (other than the scaly leg ones), and couldn't see anything. She's not eggbound. No runny nose or anything in her nose or mouth.

Since putting her in a sling her legs starting trembling a little. Is that cause for concern?

I've been treating her with vitamin E, vitamin B complex, nutritional yeast, and poultry cell. No sign of improvement yet. We got a sling for her to get some pressure off her legs and feet. She seems to like it, but if there's anything I can do to improve the sling please let me know. I'm considering widening the leg holes just a little bit more.

As for food, she's been eating her regular pellet feed ground up with the yeast and some of the vitamins.

My main questions:
How long at a time should I put her in the sling?
I also gave her two epsom salt baths when we first took her in. Should I keep doing that as well? If so, how often?
Is there anything else I can do to help her? I also can't tell if/when she's in pain.

Attachments

• DA2D60E1-A8BD-4317-B1AC-341C9C74B666.jpg
    DA2D60E1-A8BD-4317-B1AC-341C9C74B666.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 40
  • DB340249-72C9-4E20-9B77-CAAE777993D3.jpg
    DB340249-72C9-4E20-9B77-CAAE777993D3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 0B4FF903-D05F-4C01-A85D-6FF91E729D07.jpg
    0B4FF903-D05F-4C01-A85D-6FF91E729D07.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
How old is she, and has she laid eggs recently? What do you feed her including any treats? How long have you been giving the B complex? Have you added any new birds recently? Could you include a photo of her eyes? What does her poop look like, and pictures are welcome. Chicken slings are good for getting them up and sat in front of food and water for periods throughout the day. They should spend time out of them to sleep and stretch as well.

How old is she, and has she laid eggs recently? What do you feed her including any treats? How long have you been giving the B complex? Have you added any new birds recently? Could you include a photo of her eyes? What does her poop look like, and pictures are welcome. Chicken slings are good for getting them up and sat in front of food and water for periods throughout the day. They should spend time out of them to sleep and stretch as well.
We've been giving her the B complex since last Tuesday, roughly 7 days.

Her poop is light green and white and solid most of the time. Half the time it's pale yellow/whitish and comes out like a liquid. She hasn't gone yet and we change the bedding so I'll send a picture later when she goes again.

We haven't had new birds in about 3 years now, and I believe she is 3 and a half years old.

She has not laid a single egg all winter or spring so far. I think only one of our four hens is laying right now.

We feed her organic poultry feed, not sure what brand. They're pellets. Treats are usually organic greens, scrambled egg, or scratch made of different kinds of seeds.

Here are some pics of her manure

Attachments

• 34395458-94E7-4B1A-A707-90B43BB79D10.jpg
    34395458-94E7-4B1A-A707-90B43BB79D10.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 5
  • B3012A0F-909A-4B7E-8305-975A636574E9.jpg
    B3012A0F-909A-4B7E-8305-975A636574E9.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 5
I would continue giving the b complex vitamins. Does she have any enlargement in her lower belly? Many times it can be unclear what exactly is wrong until after death when a necropsy can be done. I would keep giving her supportive care. Let us know how she is getting along.

I would continue giving the b complex vitamins. Does she have any enlargement in her lower belly? Many times it can be unclear what exactly is wrong until after death when a necropsy can be done. I would keep giving her supportive care. Let us know how she is getting along.
Update. Her belly seems to be fine. She's still eating and drinking, and we're continuing to give her the vitamins. Her feet are still curled and she's unable to walk but she's sitting up on her hocks a lot now, and she's no longer lethargic except when it's her bedtime. I'm propping her up with a small folded up cloth and she seems to like that.

So she has been doing better, and is constantly trying to stand up, but her feet are still stuck being curled up. Should I use a splint of some kind to straighten them out?

Update: We've put her down peacefully. She was suffering and refused to eat or drink anymore, and nothing we were doing was making a difference. I'm going to miss her. I did learn a lot on how to treat chickens and identify what is going on at least.

Back
Top Bottom