HELP

Kimorris207

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2016
Buxton Maine
Please help! I got home from work and found 1 of my 9 hens standing in the corner. She wouldn't move, even let me pet her which is very rare for this girl. Eventually she got annoyed with me and rather than going out with her sisters she very slowly went back into the coop and is currently standing in the corner. She's been there for 45 minutes, won't move. She's acting very sluggish and I've noticed her butt is very disturbed. Still has all her feathers but it's very much covered in what looks like diarrhea underneath. Any advice would be great! I don't want to lose her.

Welcome to BYC. can you try and catch her to clean off her vent area, just to get a look at it to make sure there is no prolapse, maggot infestation, or other problems. Check inside her vent with a finger inserted 1-2 inches to feel for a stuck egg. Offer her some water and a little chopped egg to see if she will eat. Think about placing her in a crate or basket inside to keep a close eye on her.

I was able to catch her as she is not moving fast at all. This is the one of my 9 that really hasn't ever liked to be touched which was my first concern. She is being crated inside, away from the other girls right now. She is set up with vinegar water, a recommendation from my neighbor, and some food. She seemed to be able to get some rest last night and was seen eating a tomato this morning. I haven't noticed any success bowel movements and I don't see any poop in the crate as of 6 AM today. I am going to do some research on exactly how to clean her bum off safely. I am quite squeamish and not sure how this is going to go over lol. Luckily my husband is not squeamish. Thank you for your advice, I am thankful to have this site for support. I have been raising hens for 4 years and have never had a sick girl. I lost my entire flock last winter to a mink so the thought of losing even one hen is not something I want to go through again right now.

You can just put her in a dish pan or bucket and wash her bottom off with dish soap and warm water, rubbing the feathers to get any dried droppings off. Sometimes the dry poo can be pulled of before getting them wet. Bathing just the vent area would keep her from chilling, so as not to stress her any further. Most chickens don't mind a warm soak once the initial struggle of being handled is over. Offer her some chopped egg and a little plain yogurt with her feed for vitamins, protein, and calcium. Melon is good to give extra fluids.

Last edited:
Question: I am going to look it up as I look up everything I attempt.. lol What should I do if I feel something in her vent? We are pretty confident that she may have an egg stuck up in there. Is this a do it yourself kind of thing or should I be consulting a 'professional'?

Sorry for the delay in answering, but have been offline. Can you get a picture of her vent? An egg will feel hard if there is a shell, but they can also have shell-less eggs. No egg would just feel like soft tissue. If you feel an egg, give her a calcium tablet, Tums, or other form of calcium. Give water, since dehydration can cause egg binding as well as a low calcium level. A warm soak in a shallow bath or placing her ina warm humid environment, such as a spare bathroom with lots of moisture can help to pass the egg. Google egg binding, and you will see a good link by TheChickenChick.com.

Last edited:
I need help with one of my friends hens she has a bubbly substance coming in the corner of her eye and was wondering what this could be from infection? Obviously this isn't normal?

I need help with one of my friends hens she has a bubbly substance coming in the corner of her eye and was wondering what this could be from infection? Obviously this isn't normal?

Welcome to BYC, Dave. It would be best to start your own new thread at the top of this page to reduce confusion, and get more advice just for your problem. Bubbles in the eyes can be a symptom of MG or mycoplasma, a respiratory disease. Look for other symptoms such as sneezing or gasping. List all symptoms that you are seeing, and add how long you have had her, or if any new birds have been added to the flock recently.

We gave her a good, warm soak and as everyone told me she would, she LOVED it. She even fell asleep a few times. There wasn't half as much poop caked on there as It looked and no infestation, thank god! However, we were able to get in the vent and didn't feel anything. She has been inside for 2 days now and still hasn't produced an egg. She was quite a bit more lively after the bath though, moving around and gobbling up the chopped egg and had some water. As of this morning she is still moving around, a little brighter in the eyes and still eating and drinking, I wasn't able to get a pic of her vent at the time but we did compare it to that of one we goggled and they looked the same. The only difference was hers is much smaller. She is the smallest of my 9 so that didn't concern me but I guess it could be a problem....? I'm going to continue taking your advice and see where it takes me as no one else seems interested in helping me keep her alive. I consulted my feed store for advice and was told "she's done!" I'm not going to give up without trying everything I possibly can. We are leaving for Disney World in 28 days and will have someone house sitting to watch over my animals, I cannot leave her in this condition.
barnie.gif

Chickens can suffer from a variety of internal problems at 4 years old. Many of mine are 4-5 years old or more, and are not laying regularly, or their eggs are not of the highest quality. That is why many people get a few new chicks every year or two. If your hen has internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or one of the reproductive problems common in hatchery birds, she may be feeling bad. Unfortunately, there is not much to be done to help, but to keep them comfortable. Check out her physical symptoms, such as crop emptying, any evidence of lice or mites on her skin, any weight loss in her breast bone area, any fullness of her lower abdomen, and comb size and color, so as not to miss something treatable.

Back
Top Bottom