HELP

Is it cruel to just cull her? And would she be safe to eat?? We don't have the funds for vet treatment especially if its not going to cure the problems.

Actually, I don't think that is cruel at all. Many people on BYC have pets, and do not ever kill their chickens for meat. Chickens are not only pets, but livestock to many people. She sounds like she is failing, and I think ending her suffering at some point would be a kind thing to do. If you want to use her to feed your family, then that would be a final gift from her. It is much kinder than letter her suffer and wither away and maybe have pain.

I put her out to free range and after she was done she made her way back into the coop with the others hmmmmmm she is the biggest of the hens and I haven't been getting my xl eggs like I was in the last few weeks

Well, I think she read your post about putting her down, LOL. Really though, she may have just been under the weather for a few days, and is feeling better now. I hope she does well. Watch tomake sure that the others are letting her get plenty to eat and drink.

I sure hope so and THANK YOU for your help. I love this site and I love being a chicken mamma. Especially because now there are more girls in our family than boys. LOL

So she's doing good fingers crossed. I did give her a bath in Epsom salts tonight. She enjoyed it but defiantly didn't want me to clean her back side so I just let her soak a bit. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Feeling sad. When I got home tonight she was in the corner of the coop gurgling for air. So rather than letting her suffer any longer we put her down. RIP BERTHA

Back
Top Bottom