Help

CockGuardian

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2018
New Mexico
1467D0C7-22C1-49B3-AE17-2A6398648623.jpeg
I have a Silver-Spangled Hamburg chick (I ordered a male and a female; I believe that this is the male) that is little less than a month old. However, for apparently no reason at all, he’s been listless, drooping his wings, and falling on his back a lot, and has trouble getting up. Him and his siblings received medicine and vitamins daily, and they all had a marek’s vaccination. Now a month of this later, and we still don’t know what is wrong with him. Is there anyone who could shed some light on this?

I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm sorry it's happening. Poor little guy. It could just be failure to thrive. I'm gonna ask a lot of questions that might help someone to know the answer to why he's this way:
How long exactly has he been doing this?
is he out of his brooder just for the pics or is he out alot? Make sure his temps are right in the brooder, with warm AND cool places.
Are you giving him chick grit? Does he seem to be eating and drinking ?
Any discharge from his nostrils, gasping for breath or sneezing?
And how does his poop look?
Sorry for so many questions just trying to get more info, even if it doesn't help me figure it out it might help someone more experienced... hopefully someone can help you.

He was like this since I’ve had him. He’s been cold a lot, but I’ve been having him lay with me several times a day because I’ve been worried about him. I keep him and his siblings in a box that I cleaned daily. He was eating fine earlier and they have been eating chick grit. I didn’t notice any discharge from his nose until... a few minutes ago. I walked into the room I was keeping them in temporarily and he was just laying there, not moving. His poop was normal, nothing was wrong with him physically, he just faded :’( he hasn’t had any contact with sick chickens, so I’m completely at a loss for what happened...

What is your temperature where it's staying? At that age he should still have a heat source. Do the vitamins you use contain B complex. I just found out recently the ones I was using did not. You could try something like VetRx for the respiratory issue. Post pics of the poop also. Others may see something.

He was like this since I’ve had him. He’s been cold a lot, but I’ve been having him lay with me several times a day because I’ve been worried about him. I keep him and his siblings in a box that I cleaned daily. He was eating fine earlier and they have been eating chick grit. I didn’t notice any discharge from his nose until... a few minutes ago. I walked into the room I was keeping them in temporarily and he was just laying there, not moving. His poop was normal, nothing was wrong with him physically, he just faded :’( he hasn’t had any contact with sick chickens, so I’m completely at a loss for what happened...

Do you mean he died? I'm so sorry. Honestly I think it might have been the cold, chicks need a heat source, a covered heating pad, a light bulb, or a heat lamp if the brooder is large. First day 95 degrees around the heat source, with areas to cool off on if they want, and then decrease by 5 degrees each week til they feathee out,( 6 to 8 weeks, depends on the breed)

Back
Top Bottom