Help !

Jul 28, 2019
Northern California
My chicken run and coop are on very soft dirt from being built in old garden ! Should I just savage old wire around my land lords property to dig down a foot around perimeters of each chicken pen and coop or bury new chicken wire or hardware cloth inside each area ! ?? !

I have lot of work left to do! I take pictures this morning ! Temporarily I placed bricks around caged pen I bought the young Americana's are in ! My ducks are housed in dog kennel with hard ground ! We got duck house done and building wire fence and roof around it ! I dying to finish their new home but it's very slow work because I feel down walking to work 2 weeks ago and now have fluid build up on my knee! My friend has been helping me but it's only few hours every couple days a this week and I only have 2 days left before I return to work! We trying to recycle everything we can to build and fix coop and will connect it eventually to wire pen ! I want get door on chicken coop but I need to fix floor problem first !

My chicken run and coop are on very soft dirt from being built in old garden ! Should I just savage old wire around my land lords property to dig down a foot around perimeters of each chicken pen and coop or bury new chicken wire or hardware cloth inside each area ! ?? !

I have lot of work left to do! I take pictures this morning ! Temporarily I placed bricks around caged pen I bought the young Americana's are in ! My ducks are housed in dog kennel with hard ground ! We got duck house done and building wire fence and roof around it ! I dying to finish their new home but it's very slow work because I feel down walking to work 2 weeks ago and now have fluid build up on my knee! My friend has been helping me but it's only few hours every couple days a this week and I only have 2 days left before I return to work! We trying to recycle everything we can to build and fix coop and will connect it eventually to wire pen ! I want get door on chicken coop but I need to fix floor problem first !
I'm not exactly sure what all you are asking, but yes, digging wire in a foot all the way around isn't going to hurt. Heck, on real soft dirt the chickens can scratch their way out. I put mine over my garden in winter, moving them once a week, I have a few bricks dedicated to just blocking their escape holes. Hope that knee heals up.

I need to either build a apron around each pen n coop and probably cover each floor inside chicken coop, chicken large cage and duck house !!! We have foxes, racoons,skunks mountain lions and sometimes stray cat! I'm going to take pictures of everything ! I realize now I'm lucky someone not eaten my baby chickens since I moved them outside ! I have 3 places for chickens ! New one is unsafe !

I need to either build a apron around each pen n coop and probably cover each floor inside chicken coop, chicken large cage and duck house !!! We have foxes, racoons,skunks mountain lions and sometimes stray cat! I'm going to take pictures of everything ! I realize now I'm lucky someone not eaten my baby chickens since I moved them outside ! I have 3 places for chickens ! New one is unsafe !
You can bury or apron, but personally I wouldn't do the floor unless you bury it at least 6", your chickens will be tearing up their feet scratching.

Yeah ! I make my own apron but for right now I'm using bricks around edges ! I might end up moving chicken pen so ,knock out door,
20190902_122034.jpg
20190902_122146.jpg
so, knock out door, faces chicken coop ! I have to connect pen to coop! Here r some pictures ! Duck House is in background...First day ,7 days ago I brought ducks into their future home ! Daisy ran right over to 4 blue kiddie pools which have irises and dirt in them ! Daisy looked at it then looked up at me! It was funny because I could see her disappointment in her body language ! They had just come from their pink kiddie pool ...
20190902_121952.jpg
20190902_122052.jpg

Bricks aren't going to replicate what an apron does so they're not really serving a function there. If you really need something that can be moved/removed easily I think larger heavier pavers might be a better choice. Your wire openings are also quite large on the enclosure so I'd advise overlaying hardware cloth or welded wire, no larger than 1/2", at least up a few feet, to prevent coons from tearing birds apart.

Back
Top Bottom