HELP!

sarahlan56

Hatching
May 15, 2020
Me and my sister got two pekin ducks at the end of August last year. They were about a week old when we got them and unsexed. We named them Carrie and Rocco. Rocco has always been significantly bigger than Carrie so we assumed that Rocco was a boy and Carrie was a girl. Our aunt who had a duck told us that the only way we would be able to know for sure was when it came time to lay eggs. It is now the middle of May and we have seen no eggs. We also noticed that they were getting a lot more aggressive with each other. It was mostly Rocco grabbing onto the back of Carrie’s neck/eye which we wrote off as mating. It was occasional at first but then we started to notice the biting in the pen as well. It’s gotten so bad that Carrie now has foamy eye disease and almost no feathers near one of her eyes. Again, this is a normal mating thing but there’s no eggs which is strange. I took to google and found out that male pekin ducks have a curled feather on their tail. It turns out, both my ducks have that curled feather. So now, I’m unsure what to do. Carrie is currently separated from Rocco and we are giving her saline drops for her eye. The ducks don’t like to be separated but when we let them out to play in the yard they immediately start attacking each other. What does one do with two (potential) male ducks?

Often times two males will fight each other. Keep in mind that it's best to have at least 3-4 ducks per drake.
Besides the tail tail feather you could sex them bases off their quack. Females have a loud honk, and drakes have a quieter quack. You could also have them vent checked (best to do so at the vet).

You have two males if they both have the curled tail feather. So that makes Carrie a Carl. :D Keeping them separated for now is probably a good idea since one has some injuries. 😕They are trying to mate each other hence the biting and mounting. 😲You can either keep them separated or get some females. Ducks have a high sex drive so get at least 3 to 4 females per drake.🦆🦆🦆🦆

Back
Top Bottom