Rushda

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2020
It does sound like she is broody, but you mention leg weakness. What condition is she in? Is she normally active/eats/drinks and moves around a lot?
How old is she?
Any external parasites?

She is a lone hen? Do you have room for more chickens if you were to give her hatching/fertilized eggs? If you don't have room for more/don't want more or if the hen is not in good physical condition to sit for 21 days, then I would break her broodiness.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/broody-breaker-when-hens-mood-to-hatch/
Thanks alot,the site was really helpful :)
I will remove her bedding tomorrow and then let's hope for good results :)

Wyorp Rock

Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Thanks alot,the site was really helpful :)
I will remove her bedding tomorrow and then let's hope for good results :)
Keep us posted on how she's doing - the leg weakness is the most concerning.
I would check her really well for external parasites and make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
If you are breaking her, then you may need to move her/make her move around daily/as often as you can too. Yes, she will fuss, she may even peck at you, but getting her moving would be good. Watch to see that she's able to stand/move around well.

Rushda

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2020
Keep us posted on how she's doing - the leg weakness is the most concerning.
I would check her really well for external parasites and make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
If you are breaking her, then you may need to move her/make her move around daily/as often as you can too. Yes, she will fuss, she may even peck at you, but getting her moving would be good. Watch to see that she's able to stand/move around well.
Yeah once I pick her up ( wearing gloves ) and put her on the floor to walk she's walking normally but its just that I have to hold her for a while and just stretch her legs.

Will keep updating :)
Thanks for your concern :)

Rushda

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2020
Hey,
Today in the afternoon I had removed her bed (where she sleeps and lays eggs) so she ate and drank a lot (she was probably hungry) but after a while of roaming around in her cage she went and sat in the broody position on the floor where the bed was kept.
So should I keep an unffertilised egg or will she eventually understand this way?

She also has been losing feathers of her body and I noticed 1 or 2 feathers from the wing that broke from the middle.😥

Wyorp Rock

Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
If you are wanting to break the broodiness, then I would take out the egg(s) that's just encouraging her.
Raising the cage off the floor so she has air flow would be a good idea.

Broody hens pluck out feathers, so that may be where the feathers are coming from. They also will usually go through a light molt after being broody.

Rushda

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2020
If you are wanting to break the broodiness, then I would take out the egg(s) that's just encouraging her.
Raising the cage off the floor so she has air flow would be a good idea.

Broody hens pluck out feathers, so that may be where the feathers are coming from. They also will usually go through a light molt after being broody.
Yeah but there are no eggs under her, she's just sitting on the floor with nothing beneath.
The cage is lifted but I've put a layer of vinyl for her comfort.

Do you suggest something? Should I put an egg? Remove the vinyl?

Rushda

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2020
Remove the vinyl - you want her up and moving as much as possible - does she not have an outside run she can go into?
No. Don't leave an egg with her.
Yeah that sounds good. I'll remove the vinyl and make her roam around.
Thanks a lot :)

Top Bottom