Help

Bluish

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2020
Good morning all,

So the kids wanted to hatch their duck eggs. I have no clue what I am doing as I have never hatched eggs minus emu eggs that my parents handled when I was a kid. We are on day 30 and 2 eggs show signs of life. One has a larger air sac where the other one does not. They are both pekin mom swedish blue male father and we are on day 30 and still no internal pip. I increased humidity last night. It had been around 75 for the hatch now up to 80. Temp has been pretty consistent with 99.5 with some minor variations from opening incubator to candle. I have read many of the threads throughout this process and finally broke down and made an account so I could post because I am getting concerned for the little guys.

All advice appreciated! Thank you in advabce.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

What kind of incubator are you using? Is it forced or still air? I usually move from 45% to 65% when I put them in lockdown. What kind of thermometer and hydrometer are you using? Have they been calibrated? Can you post a pic of the eggs, while candling?

I am just using a little giant foam incubator. It has the temp and humidity on the lid but I do not have more information on what type it is. Hoping I didn't completely ruin any chance of these little guys making it. I will post pics of candles eggs as soon as I can. Thank you.

I believe the one is pipping away from the air sac, considering drilling a tiny hole, but was hoping for advice first.

Attachments

• 20201017_095302.jpg
    20201017_095302.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201017_095414.jpg
    20201017_095414.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201017_095440.jpg
    20201017_095440.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 7
Movement in both eggs all though the one that appears to be pipping on the opposite end of the air sac I can only see the arteries moving. The other one looks like.the membrane is loose and trying when it pecks at it..... sorry best description I can come up with. I don't think he has broken the membrane yet though but is near the air sac.

Do you hear chirping? it's likely going to be a couple more days before the middle one is ready. For now, keep your humidity around 65% and wait patiently. I'm guessing that your bator is actually cooler than 99.5. That's not a huge problem but will prolong the hatching. Those eggs are definitely still viable.

ETA: While you're setting on your hands (hardest thing to do during a hatch) how about popping over to the new member introductions section and introduce yourself. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/new-member-introductions.44/ Just click "post thread" We have lots of folks would like to say hello.

No chirping or actual scraping against the shell sounds yet. I can increase the heat so it reads about 100.5 if you think that will help. The one that is developing the dark spot (from other threads i believe this to be pipping the membrane outside of air sac) is the one with large arteries. Just really concerned as this is our ducks first lay and I've never hatched and getting an anxiety attack for these little guys. If he is pipping on the opposite end, do I just let him be? And also is the loose membrane appearance normal. I am so sorry, I know nothing and was really concerned with it be day 30 already.

No chirping or actual scraping against the shell sounds yet. I can increase the heat so it reads about 100.5 if you think that will help. The one that is developing the dark spot (from other threads i believe this to be pipping the membrane outside of air sac) is the one with large arteries. Just really concerned as this is our ducks first lay and I've never hatched and getting an anxiety attack for these little guys. If he is pipping on the opposite end, do I just let him be? And also is the loose membrane appearance normal. I am so sorry, I know nothing and was really concerned with it be day 30 already.
Next time around be sure to have several thermometers and at least 2 hygrometers. Cooler temps than your thermometer is reading will cause slower development and that's why they haven't hatched yet. I would wait for actual pips before you decide to assist. @Shawluvsbirds is a pro at assists and am sure can give you some advice.

Last edited:
I would leave the heat where it is. The one with veining is behind the other in development. Once they internally pip, you'll hear chirping. We all know the anxiety and one never knows what's going to happen during a hatch. This is going to get worse for you. Ducks take their sweet time getting out of the shell. once you get an external pip, it could rest up to 48 hours before trying to unzip.

@WVduckchick I'd appreciate having your expertise here. Keep me on track. ;)

Back
Top Bottom