Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overmated hens are stressed, subject to being driven away from food, injured and even killed by the males.

If you want to do what is in the birds best interest you need to understand we aren't saying anything to be mean. We are being realistic and speaking from experience when we warn you of the risks and offer solutions.
Thanks, I’m trying to see if my hen can get along because she sleeps with the roosters and follows them everywhere she seems happy with them

Thanks, I’m trying to see if my hen can get along because she sleeps with the roosters and follows them everywhere she seems happy with them

The roosters are young yet....i think I saw a thread you made where they are around 3 months old right now.

Things will get ugly when they start to mature.

For now. Two cockerels and one pullet is just not going to work no matter how much you wish it. The males could try to kill each other over the lack of females, or kill her with their constant breeding as well as keeping her from even being able to eat or drink. Even adding one additional pullet will unlikely change the situation much, especially if they are in a small confined location.

Keeping chickens can be fun, but at times hard decisions must be made for the benefit of the flock. Your current situation will not be fair to the birds you have. Unfortunately you are going to have to make a choice - keep a bachelor flock of males or a happy safe flock of females.

For now. Two cockerels and one pullet is just not going to work no matter how much you wish it. The males could try to kill each other over the lack of females, or kill her with their constant breeding as well as keeping her from even being able to eat or drink. Even adding one additional pullet will unlikely change the situation much, especially if they are in a small confined location.

Keeping chickens can be fun, but at times hard decisions must be made for the benefit of the flock. Your current situation will not be fair to the birds you have. Unfortunately you are going to have to make a choice - keep a bachelor flock of males or a happy safe flock of females.
Would having 2 rooster works then?

If I only keep females, there’s only going to be one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom