Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t get baby chicks unless you have a way to separate them from your pullet until they’re old enough to integrate with your pullet. By getting babies, you also run the risk of getting more males. Integration might be tricky anyway since you don’t have much space. It would be ideal if you could get pullets at least a couple of months old.
If I get full grown hens would the hens still think I am their owner?

It would be better, but an all female flock would be better for pets. Sometimes a rooster will try to keep hens away from their human keeper because he thinks he needs to protect them. The hens will be more dependent on him than on you.
Could I do a rooster and 2 hens? But I really cannot choose which rooster to keep..

It would be better, but an all female flock would be better for pets. Sometimes a rooster will try to keep hens away from their human keeper because he thinks he needs to protect them. The hens will be more dependent on him than on you.
Or ill just get only my two roosters and put the hen to where she belong. Because she probably would be happier there

Or ill just get only my two roosters and put the hen to where she belong. Because she probably would be happier there
That’s an option, too. Then you wouldn’t have to deal with integrating birds.

ETA - you need to make sure it’s legal to keep roosters where you live, and be aware that “pet” roosters do sometimes become human aggressive - especially when their owners are not experienced in recognizing the start of that kind of behavior.

Last edited:
They might. As Mrs. K says, “Roosters are a crap shoot.”’ You never quite know how they’re going to turn out. I’m very hands off with my roosters, and have had no issues with them since I started raising them the way I do. If you want pets instead of livestock, I would strongly suggest having hens only. Especially since you are new to chickens. I think it would be much more enjoyable for you.

You should have 1 rooster for every 20 hens. I have around 60 hens and we have only 2 roos, but they are really good with the ladies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom