Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized that in your other thread asking for help because your rooster just started crowing, you said that you’re not legally allowed to keep roosters. That right there should answer your questions about keeping them or your pullet. Keeping not one, but two roosters where it’s illegal to have them jeopardizes not only your privilege to keep any chickens at all, but also that of everyone else in your community who has them.

I just realized that in your other thread asking for help because your rooster just started crowing, you said that you’re not legally allowed to keep roosters. That right there should answer your questions about keeping them or your pullet. Keeping not one, but two roosters where it’s illegal to have them jeopardizes not only your privilege to keep any chickens at all, but also that of everyone else in your community who has them.
I completely agree. The law is the law, keep the pullet and give the roosters to a good home.

They might. As Mrs. K says, “Roosters are a crap shoot.”’ You never quite know how they’re going to turn out. I’m very hands off with my roosters, and have had no issues with them since I started raising them the way I do. If you want pets instead of livestock, I would strongly suggest having hens only. Especially since you are new to chickens. I think it would be much more enjoyable for you.
Okay thanks we are actually planning next year to get all hens since this year I didn’t know that and maybe this year I’ll just have a hen and a rooster

Seems to me after reading this whole thread that you’re not getting the answers that you want to hear. :) You need to do what you feel is best in your situation. If you can only have three chickens, then you need to decide whether you want to have all boys or all girls. And then act accordingly based on your decision. Very good advice given to you and I know it’s tough to part with pets, but you need to do what’s best for your birds as well. If you keep things as they are, it will likely not end well for one or more of your birds. Good luck in making the choice that you need to make. Wishing you the best in making this tough decision.😊
So if I want to keep 2 roosters and a hen how many hens do I have to add?

They might. As Mrs. K says, “Roosters are a crap shoot.”’ You never quite know how they’re going to turn out. I’m very hands off with my roosters, and have had no issues with them since I started raising them the way I do. If you want pets instead of livestock, I would strongly suggest having hens only. Especially since you are new to chickens. I think it would be much more enjoyable for you.
Ok but I tried taking a rooster and hiding it and then the hen kept squawking super loud and non stop for both roosters

One rooster and two hens is a FAR superior option than two cocks and only one hen. It's possible that the hens will still be over bred, but you can cross that road if and when you get to it. It's an almost certainty that you'll have problems with two cocks and one hen.
Be advised that it's very likely that your rooster(s) will crow when they reach sexual maturity, and your neighbors may become aware of them; If it's not permitted for you to have roosters in your area, you'll certainly need your neighbors 'on board' before crowing begins otherwise you're liable to stir up a load of trouble. The kind of trouble that causes city/county governments to disallow people from raising ANY backyard chickens.
Personally, I'd find new homes for the boys, as they're not allowed there anyhow, get a fresh batch of chicks and once they're six to eight weeks old, integrate your current pullet with the new pullets, and again, any boys would need a new home or grow them to near maturity and then invited FOR dinner at the first sign of crowing.

Like everyone else is saying on here, do what's best for both sexes. It's not fair for the roosters to fight over one hen. It's in their nature to get aggressive over mating. It's also not fair for your hen to get over mated either. She will be abused and 99% likely will not live long from stress and being over mated. I have seen it way too many times. My Rooster mates all 15 of my hens a day. One morning I was outside cleaning my ducks pool and he mated 3 hens in the matter of 10 minutes so you think about the damage from 2 roosters one 1 hen. It's just not a humane decision to keep them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom