HELP!!!!! :(

Hopefully the vet will treat him with Corid or Albon for possible coccidiosis. Make sure that he drinks plenty of the medicated water, and you can offer more from a spoon or dropper.
I just came back from the vet and they said he is underweight. He weighs 1.4 pounds he has no fat on him and is very weak. They said to bring back a stool sample. I think he has for sure coccidiosis because he is showing most of the signs. He eats a lot and if its parasitic then wouldn't the parasite start feeding off his fat?

I give mine Apple Cider Vinegar that has red pepper in it. This makes their body more acid and foul tasteing for worms. Do some research on it. I put .05ml using a 1ml syringe in 1 quart of water. I use spring water instead of well water that may have bacteria or city water that may be chlorinated. I feed mine warm frozen peas carrots corn and beans. No salt in frozen kind. This I find is the best for weight gain. I also give one egg mixed up raw. Every other day. Give Rooster Booster vitamin and Electrolite powder. Look for a feed that is for specially poultry and is a weight gain product. Rooster Booster has a weight gain product. If you handle them hold them a bit, gently place your hand on their back. This simulates him mamma hen sitting on him as a chick and is often reassuring to them.. My gals like it. So do I. I do it most evenings they fall asleep on me. Hope this helps.

I feed mine warm frozen peas carrots corn and beans. No salt in frozen kind. This I find is the best for weight gain. I also give one egg mixed up raw. Every other day. Give Rooster Booster vitamin and Electrolite powder. Look for a feed that is for specially poultry and is a weight gain product. Rooster Booster has a weight gain product.
Chick starter is a great product for chickens of any age that need to gain weight. It's got the right balance of nutrients for a growing chick, including plenty of protein. It's simpler than trying to arrange the right balance of other foods, and the chicken cannot choose to overeat one part while skipping another part.

That is great idea too. My experience has been with my gal being 12yrs old and still kicking I must be doing something right. Each thing I listed has at some point helped each of my gals. I give lots of info because it has taken years to obtain it and no one had a clue how to help me and mine.. In an emergency one does not have time to search for things sometimes. As I have stated in previous posts. Take what you like Leave the rest. A least I did not stand by and wait for my chicks to possibly die while trying only one thing

I just came back from the vet and they said he is underweight. He weighs 1.4 pounds he has no fat on him and is very weak. They said to bring back a stool sample. I think he has for sure coccidiosis because he is showing most of the signs. He eats a lot and if its parasitic then wouldn't the parasite start feeding off his fat?
You don't mention where you are in the world - are you in the US or ?
I'm sorry that he's weak. Getting the fecal float would be good. Coccidiosis can be treated with Amprolium (Corid) if you are in the US. You can find it in feed stores like TSC. Coccidiosis is caused by a protozoa which is common and found in soil and in poop. Symptoms include poop with mucous or blood, lethargy, going off feed, fluffy up/unkempt appearance.

Parasites like worms can also affect chickens, you would need to use a de-wormer to treat those.

If you treat for Coccidiosis and use Amprolium (Corid) make sure that's the only thing in the drinking water. No other additives or extra vitamins until you finish treatment.
I would encourage him to eat his chick starter, you can make it into a wet mash if you wish. Sometimes bits of scrambled egg is also of interest to a sick bird. Hydration is most important, so keep getting fluids into him.

You don't mention where you are in the world - are you in the US or ?
I'm sorry that he's weak. Getting the fecal float would be good. Coccidiosis can be treated with Amprolium (Corid) if you are in the US. You can find it in feed stores like TSC. Coccidiosis is caused by a protozoa which is common and found in soil and in poop. Symptoms include poop with mucous or blood, lethargy, going off feed, fluffy up/unkempt appearance.

Parasites like worms can also affect chickens, you would need to use a de-wormer to treat those.

If you treat for Coccidiosis and use Amprolium (Corid) make sure that's the only thing in the drinking water. No other additives or extra vitamins until you finish treatment.
I would encourage him to eat his chick starter, you can make it into a wet mash if you wish. Sometimes bits of scrambled egg is also of interest to a sick bird. Hydration is most important, so keep getting fluids into him.
Hi, I am located in South Florida. His poo is very watery and he seems to be showing the signs of Coccidiosis. Last night he stood up and started eating the wet food but he can barley stand. He seems to be getting stronger and I will be 100% taking him in to get a Fecal Float. If I give him Corid would that affect him at all, if he doesn't have It could the medicine kill him?

Hi, I am located in South Florida. His poo is very watery and he seems to be showing the signs of Coccidiosis. Last night he stood up and started eating the wet food but he can barley stand. He seems to be getting stronger and I will be 100% taking him in to get a Fecal Float. If I give him Corid would that affect him at all, if he doesn't have It could the medicine kill him?
I'm glad he's eating a little.

Let us know about the test results.
Properly dosed and administered, Corid (Amprolium) is not harmful to chickens.

I'm glad he's eating a little.

Let us know about the test results.
Properly dosed and administered, Corid (Amprolium) is not harmful to chickens.
He didn't make it :( We didn't even get the chance to take him in. The night he passed he wasn't eating at all or drinking so we syringed him food and the Corid water. Heartbroken.

Back
Top Bottom