Help

JDC1969

Hatching
May 26, 2022
Hi my name is Joe and I need some help. I’m new to raising chickens. I have a problem with one of my baby chicks. It’s a one week old blue laced Wyandotte and it is segregating it self from the rest of the baby chicks, it doesn’t move and I don’t think it’s eating or drinking. If anyone has ideas as to what I can do I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

What does his poop look like? Have you checked for pasty butt? What is the temp of the brooder? Does he feel cold to the touch?

I'd start by giving him some electrolytes. If you do not have any, you can also give him Gatorade or Sugar water.
Don’t know what the poop looks like. What is pasty butt? They are not in a brooder I have a heat lamp. How do I give her Gatorade?

Don’t know what the poop looks like. What is pasty butt? They are not in a brooder I have a heat lamp. How do I give her Gatorade?
If you look at her bottom, there will be poop all clogged around. This can be lethal if not treated (it is simple to treat). A brooder is simply the name of the place baby chicks are kept. Do you have a thermometer you can check the temp? Poor a little Gatorade into a small dish. Gently pick up the beak and dip her beak into the dish. Only do it for a second or so. You don't want to drawn her.

If you can get Poultry Nutri-Drench it's an ideal pick me up for chicks. If the chick isn't drinking you'd need to carefully direct dose at full strength with a syringe, a drop or two at a time, and try to get it to drink on it's own (at which point the Nutri-Drench can be mixed into the water, dosage on the bottle).

Back
Top Bottom