Help

Kyndalldanielle

Chirping
Mar 22, 2019
I have a couple chickens (rooster pictured is one) that have runny butts and their poo is sticking to them.. they seem maybe a little lethargic as well. What should I do? I already treated for Coccidiosis several months back so I don’t think it’s that? It’s only a couple chickens all the rest are perfectly fine.

Attachments

• 94FEF845-325E-4626-B1F8-01B0755AFAF1.jpeg
    94FEF845-325E-4626-B1F8-01B0755AFAF1.jpeg
    464.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 2D9C97CE-7154-4931-889C-B531DE43E6B2.jpeg
    2D9C97CE-7154-4931-889C-B531DE43E6B2.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 1
What is your location?
How old is this guy?
Have you washed his butt yet? No? Then how about doing that for starters?
Has it been hot where you live?
What have the chickens been eating?
Do they free range?
Do they scratch in a compost pile?
What do you put in the compost pile if there is one?
Describe his behavior with more detail.

What is your location?
How old is this guy?
Have you washed his butt yet? No? Then how about doing that for starters?
Has it been hot where you live?
What have the chickens been eating?
Do they free range?
Do they scratch in a compost pile?
What do you put in the compost pile if there is one?
Describe his behavior with more detail.
Florida. They are all a couple years old. Yes I’ve washed his butt. It has been hot. They are free range and no compost piles. Behavior for him is he doesn’t leave co-op very much but the other hens with runny butts are always leaving coop and act fine

Heat plays a big role in a lot of issues this time of year. Since you live in a hot spot, it's a good assumption this plays a role with your chickens.

Electrolytes in their water on the hottest days will help with the lethargy and could head off other more serious issues.

But the runny poop may be simply an inconvenience during these hot months when chickens are drinking a lot of water which can make for more liquid poop. Runny poop tends to be deposited on the but fluff and that causes subsequent poop to be layered onto it.

It's beastly hot today where I am, and I just got finished washing around six poopy butts. The wet, drippy feathers are a bonus, I figure, in cooling down those chickens.

I set up a butt washing station outdoors and use a hose to do the job. Baby body wash helps with the more stubborn poopy feathers. It's a frequent chore in summer here.

Heat plays a big role in a lot of issues this time of year. Since you live in a hot spot, it's a good assumption this plays a role with your chickens.

Electrolytes in their water on the hottest days will help with the lethargy and could head off other more serious issues.

But the runny poop may be simply an inconvenience during these hot months when chickens are drinking a lot of water which can make for more liquid poop. Runny poop tends to be deposited on the but fluff and that causes subsequent poop to be layered onto it.

It's beastly hot today where I am, and I just got finished washing around six poopy butts. The wet, drippy feathers are a bonus, I figure, in cooling down those chickens.

I set up a butt washing station outdoors and use a hose to do the job. Baby body wash helps with the more stubborn poopy feathers. It's a frequent chore in summer here.
Thank you for the reply!! VERY helpful!! I feel as tho it might not be anything serious now, just hot!! We’ve been in the 100’s

Back
Top Bottom