HELP!!!

Will they live?

• yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
What made you "help them hatch"?
Don't look to be shrink wrapped but not ready to hatch; clear gooy stuff, bleeding veins & yolk not absorbed. What was your temp & humidity? What day were you on? Did you candle the progression?

Those you helped may not make it, you can try putting them back in the incubator, they need to warmth. The remaining eggs stick back in the incubator for a few more days at least.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble seeing the photos due to a bit blurry, but it is possible that although they were shrink-wrapped and would have eventually needed your help, they were still absorbing their yolks and so not ready to hatch. In the future, if you need to help a shrink-wrapped chick, only pull the membrane and shell from the top half of its body. When their yolk is fully absorbed, the chick should be able to kick free of the egg shell. Having said that, I'm not sure what to do about the current chicks. @Wyorp Rock , can you help?

You can try setting the chicks in cups with dry paper towel. Set them so they are still "sitting" their shell and can't move around much. This will give them a chance to finish absorbing the remaining yolk. They need to go back into the incubator until this is done.
I feel for you. Usually I have good success incubating a variety of eggs. This year has been disastrous with shrink wrapping despite my carefully controlling temp and humidity.

They look ok, they'll make it. The goo is embryo wastes from incubation, not yolk. That's not enough blood loss to really hurt anything either so just keep them clean and dry and they should be fine. Do you have a brooder set up and clean feeders/waterers? Do you have a high quality chick feed for them to start eating?

When shrink wrapped, it's been advised to moisten the membrane with coconut oil to prevent the membrane sticking to the chick. The goo is the liquid inside the membrane that keeps the chick moist as it grows in the egg, like amniotic fluid. The yellow is yolk that the chick has not completed absorbing.

What made you "help them hatch"?
Don't look to be shrink wrapped but not ready to hatch; clear gooy stuff, bleeding veins & yolk not absorbed. What was your temp & humidity? What day were you on? Did you candle the progression?

Those you helped may not make it, you can try putting them back in the incubator, they need to warmth. The remaining eggs stick back in the incubator for a few more days at least.
im sorry i shouldnt have helped them.
temp: 37.7 *C
humidity: 85%
day 20.
yes i candled them 3 times!

They look ok, they'll make it. The goo is embryo wastes from incubation, not yolk. That's not enough blood loss to really hurt anything either so just keep them clean and dry and they should be fine. Do you have a brooder set up and clean feeders/waterers? Do you have a high quality chick feed for them to start eating?
ok.
yes i kinda do

You can try setting the chicks in cups with dry paper towel. Set them so they are still "sitting" their shell and can't move around much. This will give them a chance to finish absorbing the remaining yolk. They need to go back into the incubator until this is done.
I feel for you. Usually I have good success incubating a variety of eggs. This year has been disastrous with shrink wrapping despite my carefully controlling temp and humidity.
good idea!!! i feel ya!!!

im sorry i shouldnt have helped them.
temp: 37.7 *C
humidity: 85%
day 20.
yes i candled them 3 times!
It's a learning experience.
Temp is good but your humidity, was it always "high"? Usually kept lower (half) for the first 18days, increasing to 70% for hatching, chicken eggs take an average or 21days to hatch but sometimes longer. Candle at day 7 (veins, to check viable) day 14 & before lock down at 18days. incubating chicken eggs Good info here, skip the ads.

how long should i keep chicky baby in the cup?

Back
Top Bottom