Help!

So it seems to be ascites. As her feces/urates appear to be yellowish and if the yellow does not stem from egg yolk, she might suffer from liver issues.

How does she walk, is it with her legs apart like a duck?
So her walking is fine when she does walk which has not been a lot and when I went out to look at her just now she was cleaning her wing feathers which is more than what she has been doing!
I went back out and reflect her abdomen area and it’s more firm than wobbly and a little squishy.

If she's walking fine, then I would not try draining her unless she's in distress.

Get some Calcium into her, she may be having a hard time expelling an egg. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 at Walmart, CVS, etc.

Work on hydration, giving her some electrolytes or sugar water. Once she's drinking, then offer some wet mushy feed.

The yellow urates are often seen in hens that are starting to have reproductive problems or it could mean her liver is losing function.

With the symptom Ascites (water belly) the abdomen will feel bloated and tight like a drum. Ascites is a symptom of an underlying condition like organ dysfunction/failure and/or reproductive disorders (Cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc.).

Deworming may be a good idea. If you have a vet that can run a fecal float, that's always best, but often there's no vet or it's just cost prohibitive to seek treatment.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) liquid goat dewormer can be used. You can find it at TSC. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

DE is not a dewormer, so don't even mess with it.

If she's walking fine, then I would not try draining her unless she's in distress.

Get some Calcium into her, she may be having a hard time expelling an egg. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 at Walmart, CVS, etc.

Work on hydration, giving her some electrolytes or sugar water. Once she's drinking, then offer some wet mushy feed.

The yellow urates are often seen in hens that are starting to have reproductive problems or it could mean her liver is losing function.

With the symptom Ascites (water belly) the abdomen will feel bloated and tight like a drum. Ascites is a symptom of an underlying condition like organ dysfunction/failure and/or reproductive disorders (Cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc.).

Deworming may be a good idea. If you have a vet that can run a fecal float, that's always best, but often there's no vet or it's just cost prohibitive to seek treatment.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) liquid goat dewormer can be used. You can find it at TSC. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

DE is not a dewormer, so don't even mess with it.
Thank you! I will do all of this today! I just checked on her. I moved her from the coop to the house so she will be more comfortable

Back
Top Bottom