Help!

alyhughes8

Chirping
Mar 12, 2023
When I went out to the coop this morning I noticed one of my hens just laying on the ground doing what looked like she was taking a dust bath. I went up to her and picked her up, she was very weak and lethargic and showed no interest in food or water. She just stands around and closes her eyes. I suspected her being egg bound and have so far today given her two Epsom salt soaks. Then I read to manually check by putting petroleum jelly on my pinky and sticking it into her vent, which I did and I felt nothing. What could possibly be going on? I want to help my girl feel better! TIA

Attachments

• IMG_2125.jpeg
    IMG_2125.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2130.jpeg
    IMG_2130.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2134.jpeg
    IMG_2134.jpeg
    508 KB · Views: 11
Poor girl.

How old is she and when did she last lay an egg?
When did you last deworm your flock?

The gunk needs to get cleaned off her vent to prevent deadly flystrike.
She is 4 or 5 and I think she laid an egg within the past day or two.
They stay in the coop I don’t let them free range at all due to the predictors.
I am going to reclean the gunk off I cleaned it earlier today but she has more 😔.

Does she or the gunk have a strong ammonia smell?

If you keep them in the coop, what kind of vitamin additive do you use to substitute natural sunlight etc.? What do you feed them?

Does she or the gunk have a strong ammonia smell?

If you keep them in the coop, what kind of vitamin additive do you use to substitute natural sunlight etc.? What do you feed them?
There is no odor at all! And we actually have an in closed open to sunlight run attached to the coop. I feed them NatureWise layer feed.

For a commercial hybrid 4 or 5 years is an advanced age. Did you get her as a rescue or did you raise her from chick ?

And when did you last deworm, what did you use?

For a commercial hybrid 4 or 5 years is an advanced age. Did you get her as a rescue or did you raise her from chick ?

And when did you last deworm, what did you use?
She was actually give to me about a year ago.
I have not dewormed because I was led to believe that was not needed but I’m totally open to doing it. Would it be to late to start deworming with her in this condition in case that is the issue?

Sadly, production hybrids are prone to Salpingitis or other problems related to their reproductive system. She might be suffering from salpingitis or ascites (symptom for heart or liver failure etc.) How does her abdomen feel? Is it bloated, and if so, does it feel hard to the touch or rather wobbly like a water filled ballon?

Back
Top Bottom