Prolapse eggbound no opening

I’m in desperate need of some advice. My pullet is egg bound with a prolapse and I can’t see a hole to work the egg through. I did an epsom salt soak, put petroleum jelly on and have her in a dark crate now. Any advice would be helpful
Ok will do. I really appreciate the help I will keep you posted. I really like this
I don’t know why it says “i really like this” 😂 it’s the complete opposite (voice to text error I think). Update: there really is not update, my husband and I tried for hours to get this egg out/push the prolapse back in. There’s nothing to do now but let her rest and try again in the morning, but she’s exhausted. I really am hoping that when the swelling goes down tomorrow things look up.

After endless soaks and exhausting all of my options I was able to get her into the vet. They put her under anesthesia to get a better look, did some X-rays and then said the tissue was too inflamed and looked badly infected. They said we could go through with surgery but there was a high chance of her becoming septic and suffering even further. We chose to end her suffering and euthanize. Ducky has been a wonderful chicken, I’m glad that she’s at peace now. The flock won’t be the same without her

Attachments

• IMG_3914.png
    IMG_3914.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs
I'm glad you were able to have her seen and know that you've made the right decision. Even with the best of care, sometimes there just isn't anything to be done and ending their suffering is the kindest thing we can do for them. She looks like she was a sweet bird, and I know you will miss her.

Happened to a chicken of mine before. In a desperate last move, I broke the egg while inside her. Gave her meds and cleaned out as much as I could with a glove and salt water and lube. They say breaking the egg is bad and leads to death. Well, not doing anything about it does the same. She’s still alive 5 months later. I had lost 2 in the past 2 years to that and I just wasn’t going to lose another to that.
It’s a game of chance.

Back
Top Bottom