Prolapse eggbound no opening

Katey802

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2023
I’m in desperate need of some advice. My pullet is egg bound with a prolapse and I can’t see a hole to work the egg through. I did an epsom salt soak, put petroleum jelly on and have her in a dark crate now. Any advice would be helpful

Attachments

• IMG_3798.jpeg
    IMG_3798.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 104
Sometimes the tissue gets wrapped around the egg, absolutely keep it all moist, you don't want it to dry out. Gently push it back in, she's going to strain and try to push it out again, hold it in for a while. Use some hydrocortisone cream if you have it, honey if you don't, all over that to help bring swelling down, when the swelling comes down some, hopefully the egg will pass. If the tissue dries, it's going to dry to the egg, and it will be worse. You may need reapply the ointment or honey to keep everything moist.

You are on the right track, keep it clean and moist. Can you try to very gently push the prolapse back inside? She will also need calcium citrate to help pass the egg.
Thank you for your reply! Is that the same as oyster shell?

Sometimes the tissue gets wrapped around the egg, absolutely keep it all moist, you don't want it to dry out. Gently push it back in, she's going to strain and try to push it out again, hold it in for a while. Use some hydrocortisone cream if you have it, honey if you don't, all over that to help bring swelling down, when the swelling comes down some, hopefully the egg will pass. If the tissue dries, it's going to dry to the egg, and it will be worse. You may need reapply the ointment or honey to keep everything moist.
Thank you for your reply. I will try and push it back in I’m just nervous of braking it

I had one similar a few months ago (well more than a few I guess), the tissue was starting to dry when I found her, it was really truly stuck terribly. I soaked her in warm water to get it moist, and to help her relax. Lubed her up, and carefully and slowly the egg loosened, it took a while and I didn't rush things. I was very worried that she would have tissue damage and wouldn't make it. She ended up having some necrotic tissue where the egg was stuck, which I had to carefully remove, and in her case I did a round of antibiotics due to the damage (that is usually not necessary, I was just doing what I could to save her). She eventually healed up and was good for about 2 months, and then prolapsed again. No egg stuck, but worse prolapse. Treated the prolapse, it took several days to get it to stay in. It has now been over 6 months, no more prolapses and she's laying normally. Whew. She was a new layer, so luckily it seems to have worked itself out. If you can't get the egg removed, and the prolapse to stay in, then she won't make it, so don't be afraid to try. Just take your time, go slow and gentle. Don't be afraid to put your finger in her vent to feel around and to apply lube. Either way, you will know you tried, and did everything you could. Hopefully all will work out. :hugs

Calcium citrate +D, a calcium supplement tablet or capsule, like Citracal or the equivalent generic, from any pharmacy. Just put it in her beak and push back a little, she'll swallow it. It helps with contractions.
Thank you so much I’m going to pick this up now.

Back
Top Bottom