Help!!!

GMoose

Songster
Nov 23, 2021
Pa
My chicken was acting strange yesterday... standing up straight and just sitting there, I figured she'd be fine in the morning. I was wrong. She's on her side with no visible wounds (except her vent) won't open here eyes, I took her as dead. But she's breathing! and jerking her head every fourth breath. I assume this is hopeless... she won't respond if I touch her. Should I put her out of her misery? is recover possible?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 1.43.40 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 1.43.40 PM.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 37
She's on her side with no visible wounds (except her vent) won't open here eyes, I took her as dead. But she's breathing! and jerking her head every fourth breath. I assume this is hopeless... she won't respond if I touch her. Should I put her out of her misery? is recover possible?
Dear thing.. Is she egg bound? Can you feel an egg in there?

If so and you can get it out.. she may recover.. but it is deadly fast if she can't poop.

Most start with a gloved finger check inside the vent. If something is felt is usually followed by a warm epsom salt soak and then some extra lube.. vaseline, coconut oil etc, also some oral fast acting calcium to help the muscles work.. then a short waiting period to see if that helps

Also what does her crop feel like? What is her age?

She looks to have a good case of scaly leg mite as well.. I might consider treating other flock members.

Do you have any Poultry nutri drench on hand?

Sorry you face this.. I hope more folks chime in and you get answers fast. :fl

I don't really feel an egg... She has poop all over her vent so maybe she is pooping? I don't have Nutri drench. Her crop is empty and she's about 3 years old

Just took there, she is pooping, I don't really feel an egg. I tried to flip her and she did NOT like that, flapped her wing to stay in that position

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 1.43.40 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 1.43.40 PM.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 2.43.25 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 2.43.25 PM.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 10
I've never had an egg bound bird, I don't really know exactly where to feel... I did feel something but I think it was the leg

Unfortunately, she's gone. It was sad to see her go. A good bird for three years. RIP. I did notice when picking her body up she was EXTREMELY heavy, going on 10 pounds?

Back
Top Bottom