Help!

Mochi_AtMaui

In the Brooder
May 7, 2023
This morning i noticed one of my hens had a full crop (this was before feeding them) and looked like she was struggling to pass something (hunched over) then i noticed something white hanging from her vent. pulled it out and it looked and felt like egg membrane, just slightly firmer. no sign of yolk, just membrane. i was assuming thats what blocked off her system and led her to be unable to poop overnight, and she’d be fine after i pulled it out. i was wrong. 8 hours later shes still hunched over with her tail down, no interest in food. her crop seems to have shrunk a little. i checked inside her vent, and felt around her body, theres nothing i could find. she is 2 1/2 years old. thank you for any help
IMG_6097.jpeg

Can you get some calcium into her right away? Human calcium citrate with vitamin D3 is recommended give orally. But Tums, other calcium such as calcium carbonate or calcium gluconate is fine until you get the calcium citrate. She may be egg bound with another soft egg or even a lash egg. They can have 2 eggs close, and soft eggs are hard to lay. Place her in a warm room, such as a humid bathroom on a towel. Let us know if she poops or lays an egg.

Can you get some calcium into her right away? Human calcium citrate with vitamin D3 is recommended give orally. But Tums, other calcium such as calcium carbonate or calcium gluconate is fine until you get the calcium citrate. She may be egg bound with another soft egg or even a lash egg. They can have 2 eggs close, and soft eggs are hard to lay. Place her in a warm room, such as a humid bathroom on a towel. Let us know if she poops or lays an egg.
would it be a good idea to crush up tums into a powder and add it to her water?

she pooped twice since i put her in the bathroom. its non solid and all white except a small black turd. looks like normal bird poop.

Last edited:
The best is to do what @Eggcessive suggested above and put a calcium pill in her mouth and she'll swallow it. That causes contractions so she can expel any egg or egg remains.
Yes, any calcium needs to be given orally. Chickens can swallow tablets easily. If the tablet is too big break it in two, and put it into the back of her beak.

dont have any calcium pills but she drank some tums water. shes been pooping a fair amount. no appetite, puffed up and tail down.

Back
Top Bottom