Help

goose man al

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Wisconsin
My goose cut his foot yesterday so I put some neosporin on it . Also he was paning before so I raised the heat lamp.don't know how old he is. I would guess about almost 2 weeks old. but how long should they need heat for and when can they stay out side all day and night? Also for ducks too ? What should I look for to spot an infection? Any help would be wonderful

Last edited:
I am wondering the same thing as far as heat goes..... I hope your gosling gets better!!
hugs.gif

Not sure if geese are the same as ducks, but someone sudgested to me that I not put my ducks out 24/7, until they have all of their feathers. But someone with more experience will be able to give you a more definitive answer. Hope this helps a little bit.
smile.png

If you have the goose inside it shouldn't need heat at all. You can put them outside this time of year basically as soon as they hatch, provided it's not too cold and/or you have sufficient heat on them. A friend of mine puts her baby ducks/geese outside at about 1 week old with nothing but a tarp to keep out the wind and rain, they do just fine.

I have one baby goose and 2 baby ducks in the house right now that are young. Goose is about 1-2 weeks, ducks are about 2-3 weeks. They haven't had any external heat source for about a week and it doesn't bother them.

I just got my Welsh Harlequins today (YEAH!). They are outside in a brooder "closet". They do have a heat lamp, but they wont need that for long.

well here is the information that came from Holderread with my duckling care sheet...the care sheet was for ducklings and goslings.

7. The correct brooding temperature is 90-92o F the first 3 days and 85-90o F for days 4 to7. Thereafter, drop the brooding temperature approximately 5o F per week. Birds must always be able to get away from the heat source to avoid the damaging effects of overheating.

Cornell University states:

Optimum temperatures for ducks

At the time of hatching, ducklings require a high temperature of about 86°F (30°C). They are not yet able to regulate their body temperature and must have supplemental heat such as that provided by a brooder. As they grow older they become better able to produce and conserve heat, and regulate their body temperature. After a duckling is fully covered with feathers and down, they are able to maintain proper body temperature even when the outside temperature is low. The recommended temperatures for ducks at different ages are given in Table 1.

Table 1. Optimum Temperatures for Ducks

Age of days °F °C
1 86 30
7 81 27
14 73 23
21 66 19
28 59 15
35 55 13
42 55 13
49 55 13
Developing breeders 55 13
Laying breeders 55 13

Here is the link to that information

http://www.duckhealth.com/housmngt.html#broo

Last edited:
I followed what my book said with my new ones (and I raised some about 15 years ago.) Mine were in my attached unheated garage in April and we had some 40+ degree nights and 50-70 degree days. They seemed to want it for about 4 weeks (sought out the "light " corner to sleep in.) Pen was about 2-3 weeks. I did raise the brooder lamp as they grew so they could't touch it.
After 4 weeks they had some feathers and it was warming up here (Georgia).

Back
Top Bottom