Help!!!!!!!

calichix

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
My chicken just hatched today, and it appears that it has innards trailing from its butt. It is weak, lethargic, and noticeably smaller than the other obviously healthy chicks. I haven't fed it yet because it and the others are still drying in the incubator, but I believe that it would be unable to do so as it seems it hatched with some part of the digestive system (stomach, intestines etc.) outside of its body. Is there anything I can do?

If it doesn't get any better by the time they are all dry, keep it by itself and try to get it to drink. If it is still weak and draging intestines around, cull it. Not good news, but it is best for the chick if it hasn't improved after 4 days.

I had one hatch like that. It just hasn't absorbed the yolk sack and needs a little time to finish absorbing it and heal up. Been in quarantine for 2 days, and about to go in with the other chicks. Don't worry too much just keep an eye on it
smile.png

Should I remove it from the incubator to allow it to properly dry out in the breeder with the others, or would it be best to keep it in a humid environment? It's still rather damp and I'm unsure whether whatever it's dragging should be kept moist or be allowed to dry out.

Just leave it in the incubator. It can take a while for it to finish absorbing, so be patient. I just had one like it, and felt so sorry for it dragging that egg shell around behind it once it got a little stronger and started moving around. But it did eventually, and it's doing fine now.
In fact, all the chicks should remain in the incubator until they are completely dry and starting to fluff out. It will just take this one a little longer than most.

Last edited:
Can you post up a pic so we can see? if it is it's intestines as opposed to a bit of yolk then it's bad news once they are out of the body infection usually sets in, and depending on how much yolk it has left to absorb it could go either way, keep it warm and very clean and see how it is in the next 24-48 hours.

Thank you ALL SO MUCH for being there with advice and help on this situation. The baby chick did unfortunately just die. Apparently this little bird did have its insides outside as a result of a natural aberration in hatch. The other two chicks are chirping away and beginning to eat and are just adorable. (Sorry we could not post any pics, we don't have a digital camera).

I wanted to report back to you all who were so helpful and kind. It was a rough night, but just knowing that you were with help, suggestions and just presence (we were so sad...) made all the difference.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Thank you again. Talk with you soon!

Back
Top Bottom