Help!?

ksct

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
upstate, NY
ok, DH is home and just called me at work......
He's outside working on his neice's car..... he said our roo was on one of the hens and (I quote) "it sounded like he was killing her" - Now we do have a hen perhaps more than one that doesn't love the mating riutal and is quite noisey....
However he's usually a pretty quick guy and is on and off pretty speedy.
DH says this went on for what seemed like 5 minutes. He yelled at him and nothing.... He was afraid for her so he kicked the fence (putting a boot sized hole it in mind you) and he finally got off. (he said he didn't think about opening the door)

Is this mean behavior? Was she really in pain? Is this normal?

We are new to chickens... (it's been almost a year now) but we've seen almost everything at this point (i hope) aside for new hatchings etc.

Please some advice.....

anyone have any advice on this one?
DH is about ready to send the roo away.... for good.
sad.png

(not just becuase of this incident)

It could be the roo was just straightening out some "issue" with the girls. On the other hand, if he is really bad all the time or potentially dangerous to people then post him on Craigslist or send him to freezer camp. There are so many well behaved roos out there that one with a bad disposition does not need to be tolerated. Sorry about the hole in the fence.

I thank you. DH said he was almost 'wiping his feet on her" and when that was over, the other hens were pecking her for a bit becuase she was bleeding. I was home about 2 hours later, and couldn't tell anything was wrong.
I don't know if he's a mean guy really.... I have such a hard time becuase I really want him to be nice. He's more afraid of us than anything but he is probably on his last leg anyway... DH doesn't want a mean boy. I just hate to know that he could be someones dinner.... (we have a friend that takes the unwanted roos - for freezer camp)
I'm just an over sensative animal lover anyway.

Back
Top Bottom