Help!!!

bmycah

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 10, 2009
Corum
One of My pharoah has no top of her head, i read the posts of the others that have parts of thier heads missing but hers is so much worse than what was described. I will try to post pics later (trying to find batteries). Anyways the top of the head is gone about the size of a quarter, the eyes are puffy and swollen, and the skin that is still there is swollen. I put on triple antibiotic. and moved her to the house. she can not see so i got her water and she drinks bless her heart. I have to show her where it is and she just stabs at it guessing. She would not eat, and is already quite thin. I am not sure when this happened i have been out of town for about 36 hours. Do you think her eyes will be ok after the swelling goes down? I see them moving so they are not gone, just concerened about her being blind. i think her head will heal after some time, but she is going to have to eat. Anything that anyone can think of that she will not be able to resist?

thanks in advance

Brandie

Also i have no idea how this happened???

As long as she is drinking that's the main thing. Keep her as comfortable as possible and watch her. If you have any meal worms she may take one if you offer it to her.
Bless her heart, I hope she makes it ok...

David

She'll Eat, Give It Time... As Plain View Said She's Drinking And Thats The Most Urgent And Pressing Concern. If Your Worried Add A Small Amount Of Sugar To Her Water. She'll Eat Eventually.

No Prob
Good Luck With Her

I'd Suggest Using Bluecote/ Woundkote On The Wound Rather Than Antibiotic Ointment--- It Has Longer Duration And Attracts Less Dirt As Well As Is More Antimicrobial Than The Ointment---- Better For Her/ Easier For You= Win/win
smile.png

Its Readily Available In Either A Paint On With Swab Liquid Or As An Aerosol Spray(best For Gamebirds) From Most Feed/ Farm Supply Stores In 1 Brand Or Another--- Doesnt Matter So Long As Its A Deep Blue/ Purple In Color. Many Times Its In With The Horse Meds For Treating Wounds. Handy Stuff To Have Around For The Ever Present Oopsie
smile.png

I have horses and I think the only medicines that work come in indelible blue or yellow. I've seen it as blu-kote and wound-kote. I also used a silver spray called alu-shield i think. Don't know if that works on birds too?

Quote:
NO ALUSHIELD!

WHAT YOUR AFTER IS THE BLUE/ PURPLE COLOR--- ITS FROM A STAIN CALLED COGENTIN BLUE WHICH IS ACTUALLY USED IN MICROBIOLOGY TO "FIX" AND STAIN BACTERIAL SLIDES. AND IN SPECIALTY DRESSINGS FOR HARD TO HEAL WOUNDS ON US! ITS AN ANTIMICROBIAL ($10 WORD FOR KILLS BACTERIA
smile.png
)
BLUEKOTE AND WOUNDKOTE ARE THE 2 BEST KNOWN BRANDS THAT I AM FAMILIAR WITH. THE SPRAY CAN IS AWFUL HANDY TO HAVE AROUND IF YOUR A GAMEBIRD ENTHUSIAST. SPRAY ANY WOUND FOR TREATMENT AND IN MANY CASES OF PECKING IT WILL COVER THE AREA AND HELP PREVENT FURTHER PECKING--- PHEASANTS ESPECIALLY--- THEY ARE LIKE SHARKS IN COMMUNITIES, A LIL BLOOD AND EVEN THE SWEETEST IS OUT FOR A KILL--- ONCE 1 HAS A BLEEDING SPOT THEY ALL PLAY A GAME OF HEY LETS PECK MORTY TO DEATH TODAY! AND EVERYONE TAKES A TURN PECKING THE INJURED SPOT ON THE POOR BIRD WHO'S UNLUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE A WOUND--- NOT ONLY DOES BLUEKOTE TREAT THE WOUND IT COVERS UP THE BLOODY SPOT THAT ATTRACTS THEIR ATTENTION, AND THUS HELPS DECREASE PECKING THAT AND IT TASTES AWFUL TO THEM AS WELL
smile.png

thanks for all of the advice, but she has been put down:( I really got a good look at her eyes today and they were beyond saving in my opinion. I am thinking that after she scalped herself the others pecked and caused more damage, before i got to her. Hopefully i can figure out what happened for sure to prevent this from happening again. thanks again

Sorry To Hear That.... If It Was Self Inflicted Its Likely From Her Flushing And Banging Into The Top Of Her Pen.... Maybe Look At Padding The Top Or Lowering It To A Safe Height? Just An Idea...

If you still don't know how she got scalped, what kind of feeder are you using?
I had a Coturnix scalp itself with a feeder like this.

Feeder.gif

The inside edge of the holes was sharp.
I've found this in the long metal feeders as well and do not use them any longer.

David

Back
Top Bottom