Help!

Nov 25, 2010
Florida
I went to make sure the 3 week old chicks had water and I noticed that one of my white silkie chicks head is upside down basically. All I know is that I have a bully in that brooder. I think its a cockrel, cochin I believe. He is always pecking everybody and making them run and chirp. I don't know if she got stepped on or what. Everybody in there is from the same hatch. I don't know what to do with her, and I don't know what to do with that bully either. Help!

I'd pull her out and pick a friend to go with her, one that is more docile. That's all I can offer right now. Maybe someone else has an idea whats going on.

Quote:
I would say the same. It is early enough (and yet not too late) to kind of pair up. And yet if something happens to the misfit then you can re-add the other back in. I don't know what the chick looks like or is doing, but (If it is just on the bottom of the pecking order) it will probably make it. Sometimes the bottom ranking chick (no matter how healthy) will be eliminated by the top ranking chick. "Pecking order"
Separation until it is self sustainable would be best. IMHO

FWIW, could it be wry neck? That or a head brain trauma since silkies tend to have both of those issues. I'd read up on wry neck and make sure that's not it. I think adding vitamin E is the cure for that. And as for brain trauma sounds like they usually do recover. Pull her out with a friend and keep her safe just in case the bully did the damage.

Hey Chillin, I did pull her out but I dont think she can eat or drink. She tried to put her head in the water bowl upside down. About wry neck, I do need to read on that cause I have a little lavender silkie in the bator now and I can't figure out if he/she has wry neck or spradle leg. One foot seemed a little turned in so I put the little 'bootie" on it, but at times his neck looks funny too. He keeps falling over and can't get up. At other times he can stand up straight and his neck looks fine. ? He just can't seem to walk without falling over on his back.

we had this once the chick surrived we gave it honey and put it in a little box. To me all the chicks I had that twisted their neck were goners. I dont have any of those breeds though

Back
Top Bottom