1. Chicken Ma

Chicken Ma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    El Sobrante
    Came home from 2 days gone and found my female banty with a swollen abdomen and sitting in an upright position. Please help! She seems to be skin and bones now. Could not feel any egg and she did poop. What can I do??????

2. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I'm not positive but it sounds like shes eggbound. Thats signs of being eggbound but you said you can't feel a egg so I'm not sure.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    could be egg bound, give her a warm bath for 20-30 minutes and put some lub around her vent like olive oil. you may have to repeat the baths several times the warm water will help to relax her abdominal muscles so she can pass the egg. you should move her to a darken area to help prevent her from forming another egg. when she is dry you can place her on a warm heating pad too. good luck

4. Chicken Ma

Aug 18, 2008
    El Sobrante
    I took her into my vet and she died while I was there. She had a soft-shelled egg inside her and was full of peritonitis. There was also fluid throughout her whole body. Thanks for your responses. I am just heartsick.

5. someplumbcoop

someplumbcoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    I am so sorry for your loss.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Poor dear - so sad [​IMG]
    So sorry to hear this.
    JJ

7. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    [​IMG]

8. Chicken Ma

Aug 18, 2008
    El Sobrante
    Thanks for all your kind wishes. Out of all my chickens (17), she was my baby and the one who would always sit on my lap and want to be held. Never thought I could get so attached to a chicken, but I sure did. She was one of a kind. Sweet Pea was her name and sweet she was. Thanks again.

Gail

9. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by