Help!!!

you know you can always start a grassroots movement! Advertise at nurseries, garden centers, homeopathic stores, whole foods, health stores, churches, schools, home school supply stores ext. The more people that you can get who are willing to stand up with you and say they want chickens to, OR products from people who have chickens the better. Back home the law was changed after a big group of people got together and showed the city that this is what people want! For years now my mom has had her students (she teaches 2nd grade) bring her eggs and let me tell you, we LOVE it!!.

I am already on that part of it! I have a petition on change.org under sustainable food. I constantly post on facebook my petition and the city council's names and phone numbers and emails. Lots of people repost it. We call and email every day. I have fliers up at the health food stores. There is a group ready to go to the next city council meeting. I spoke with Andy (chicken whisperer radio talk show) at length and he has advised me on the best route he has found to implement the changes in the ordinances. We are on it!!! Thank you for your encouragement and advice! I sur appreciate the good vibes. I love my girls. I enjoy them. They are part of my family. I spend time with them every day! I will do what is necessary to keep them!
wee.gif

Even though I don't live near you, know we are pulling for you! Don't let the chicken haters get ya down... there are all a bunch of 'cluckers' ;)
hide.gif
(was that bad?)

Not bad at all! I appreciate all the good will for my chickens. If you know ANYBODY in Virginia Beach, let them know we are going to the next city council meeting and could use all the people backing we can get. Andy of the chicken whisperer told me not to show up alone because I will end up with the reputation of the crazy chicken lady. He told me if I don't get it passed at first....keep showing up with the larger the group the better! Please post it on facebook, myspace, email contacts......where ever it will get out there! THANK YOU for your support!

You could always try renting some power line property while you fight the zoning ordinance, its usually relatively inexpensive.

What is that? I have no clue what you are talking about. Please clarify. Thanks! I am open to just about anything!

I have a farm in Ga that has power lines that cut through it. They are the main line, those large metal towers with all of the lines, usually you can see them from the road because they have to clear cut 50 ft. in either directions. Anyway you cannot build any "permanent" structures like a house or anything in this area. You can however garden and keep livestock...even build a chicken house. Some people will rent this property out to gardeners and people who want to keep small flocks of animals. The property is usually under $100 a month because of its limited use and low effective tax rate. I would say put a post on craigslist that you are looking to rent some power line property to keep a flock of chickens. I think you can also rent line property from the gov't in some spots that they personally own I saw something about it on a urban farming documentary. I hope you can find some in Va. we have a fair amount here in Ga. and I see posts for it for rent on CL occasionally. Hope this helps you out.

Not bad at all! I appreciate all the good will for my chickens. If you know ANYBODY in Virginia Beach, let them know we are going to the next city council meeting and could use all the people backing we can get. Andy of the chicken whisperer told me not to show up alone because I will end up with the reputation of the crazy chicken lady. He told me if I don't get it passed at first....keep showing up with the larger the group the better! Please post it on facebook, myspace, email contacts......where ever it will get out there! THANK YOU for your support!

When is the next council meeting? I'm in MD, not that close to VA Beach but, not that far either. I would be interested in attending just to be another body in support. Eventually, enough people in my area (AA County) are hopefully, going to join together and make this stand as well. I know there are quite a few of us in my town that have chickens and are not supposed to. Happy to be under the radar for now. I just don't see how when my neighbors to the left have a dog that will bite you (small dog) and my neighbors to the right have 4 badger hounds that make a racket that you wouldn't believe. I don't mind. I like both of my neighbors. But, my perfectly friendly, quiet hens that stay in their OWN yard and provide food and enjoyment for my family ARE NOT LEGAL!! Ok, got off on a tangent there. . . Let me (us) know when you need some support and hopefully it will be a time when I can get down there. Good luck!!

I would be most excited to have you here in support. The city council meetings are always the second Tuesday of every month unless it is a holiday and it is posted a year in advance on the website. vbgov.com under virginia beach city council heading.
My hens, too, stay in their own pen in their own yard. I do not even have them free in my yard. They stay in their pen to avoid the neighbor's cat who kills EVERYTHING and leaves it on my front step and his owners front step. We also get the occasional hawk that comes through and sits on my pen fence. Thankfully I have it netted over so no snatching happens. I would just be devastated to lose one for any reason.
The grass roots chicken underground movement is happening all across the country. Everyone I have talked to that has already made it happen in their areas or have made strides in their areas say the single most important thing to do is contact your city council and make it known. Get the issue on the ballot for debate for local elections. Let them know if they don't support you, you will vote someone in who will. That way....it is only a matter of time. Elections happen usually staggered and usually majority vote rules. All you need is the majority,so not if you can make it happen but WHEN you can make it happen.

Back
Top Bottom